Thermodynamics help

by S_Flaherty
Tags: adiabatic, energy, process, thermodynamics
Share this thread:
S_Flaherty
Sep29-13, 09:07 PM
P: 75
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The question is: Consider a hypothetical ideal gas with internal energy U = NkTo(T/T0)α+1, where To and α are positive constants. Show that in an adiabatic process, V*exp[(1+1/α)(T/To)α] = constant.

2. Relevant equations
PVγ = constant
γ = Cp/Cv
Cp = Cv + Nk

3. The attempt at a solution
I'm pretty sure that I'm supposed to show that [(1+1/α)(T/To)α] is equal to γ and since PVγ = constant, V*exp[(1+1/α)(T/To)α] = constant. When I try to solve it though I can't get the solution to come out. I differentiate U to get Cv = Nk(1+α)(T/To)1+α. When I plug that into γ I get γ = 1 + 1/[(1+α)(T/To)α]. Either I'm just not simplifying it enough and the answer is correct, or I solved for λ incorrectly, or my equations are incorrect. I don't know which it is though.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
nasu
Sep29-13, 10:06 PM
P: 1,970
Quote Quote by S_Flaherty View Post
The question is: Consider a hypothetical ideal gas with internal energy U = NkTo(T/T0)α+1, where To and α are positive constants. Show that in an adiabatic process, V*exp[(1+1/α)(T/To)α] = constant.

2. Relevant equations
PVγ = constant
γ = Cp/Cv
Cp = Cv + Nk

I'm pretty sure that I'm supposed to show that [(1+1/α)(T/To)α] is equal to γ and since PVγ = constant, V*exp[(1+1/α)(T/To)α] = constant. When I try to solve it though I can't get the solution to come out. I differentiate U to get Cv = Nk(1+α)(T/To)1+α. When I plug that into γ I get γ = 1 + 1/[(1+α)(T/To)α]. Either I'm just not simplifying it enough and the answer is correct, or I solved for λ incorrectly, or my equations are incorrect. I don't know which it is though.
The equation
PVγ = constant
is not valid for this problem. It follows from the usual internal energy for ideal gas,
U(T)=nCvT

Here you have a different function U(T) and you have to find the relationship between volume and temperature. (for the "usual" ideal gas this will be TVγ-1 = constant )
You can use the first law in conjunction with the equation of state to do this.
ehild
Sep29-13, 10:32 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 10,673

2. Relevant equations
PVγ = constant
γ = Cp/Cv
Cp = Cv + Nk

Is PVγ = constant when Cv depends on T?

ehild

S_Flaherty
Sep30-13, 10:58 AM
Thermodynamics help

Quote Quote by nasu View Post
The equation
PVγ = constant
is not valid for this problem. It follows from the usual internal energy for ideal gas,
U(T)=nCvT

Here you have a different function U(T) and you have to find the relationship between volume and temperature. (for the "usual" ideal gas this will be TVγ-1 = constant )
You can use the first law in conjunction with the equation of state to do this.
I'm not really sure what you mean, can you explain it more?
S_Flaherty
Sep30-13, 11:00 AM
Quote Quote by ehild View Post
Is PVγ = constant when Cv depends on T?

ehild
I'm guessing it's not, but I don't know what it should be then.
Chestermiller
Sep30-13, 11:08 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 5,263
For an ideal gas,
dU=CvdT
PV=RT
From the first law, for an adiabatic reversible process, how is dU related to PdV?
S_Flaherty
Sep30-13, 11:18 AM
Quote Quote by Chestermiller View Post
For an ideal gas,
dU=CvdT
PV=RT
From the first law, for an adiabatic reversible process, how is dU related to PdV?
dU = -PdV, so Cv = -PdV/dT right?
ehild
Sep30-13, 11:23 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 10,673
U is given as function of T. PV=kNT is valid for the ideal gas, and also the First Law is valid. For an adiabatic process dU=-PdV. Use P=kNT/V, and integrate.

ehild
S_Flaherty
Sep30-13, 11:31 AM
Quote Quote by ehild View Post
U is given as function of T. PV=kNT is valid for the ideal gas, and also the First Law is valid. For an adiabatic process dU=-PdV. Use P=kNT/V, and integrate.

ehild
Ok, so I get U = -kNT(ln(V))
haruspex
Sep30-13, 11:45 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,874
κ
I'm pretty sure that I'm supposed to show that [(1+1/α)(T/To)α] is equal to γ and since PVγ = constant, V*exp[(1+1/α)(T/To)α] = constant.
No, that would not follow, so I don't think you want to show that [(1+1/α)(T/To)α] is equal to γ. Instead, try raising V*exp[(1+1/α)(T/To)α] to the power of γ, using the expression for γ that you derived.
S_Flaherty
Sep30-13, 12:36 PM
Quote Quote by haruspex View Post
No, that would not follow, so I don't think you want to show that [(1+1/α)(T/To)α] is equal to γ. Instead, try raising V*exp[(1+1/α)(T/To)α] to the power of γ, using the expression for γ that you derived.
So that makes (V*exp[(1+1/α)(T/To)α])1+1/(1+α)(T/To)α

I'm not sure what to do with that
nasu
Sep30-13, 01:31 PM
Well, I don't understand what part you don't understand.

But the idea is "forget gamma". And "forget pv^gamma". Does not apply here.

1. From first law applied to adiabatic process you have:
dU=pdV
You have U(T) so find dU.

2. You have PV=nRT so you can eliminate p on the right hand side:
pdV= nRTdV/V

So you will have an equation relating V and T. Integrate (after separating variables) and you'll find that exponential relationship.
Chestermiller
Sep30-13, 01:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
You have the equation of U as a function of T, and you know know that
[tex]C_v=\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}[/tex]
Just differentiate the equation for U with respect to T, and write
[tex]dU=C_vdT=\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}dT=-PdV[/tex]
Then, just substitute the ideal gas law for P, and integrate.
nasu
Sep30-13, 02:14 PM
You have the equation of U as a function of T, and you know know that
[tex]C_v=\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}[/tex]
This is a "hypothetical" ideal gas.
Cv=∂U/∂T is valid for a "real" ideal gas.

The whole point here is that U(T) is not given by
dU=CvdT but by that other, more complicated formula.
If he does what you suggest he'l get just the usual
[tex]TV^{\gamma -1 }= constant[/tex] and not the formula required by the problem.

But the method will work. This is what I tried to explain as well.
Just use
[tex]dU=Nk(\alpha +1) (T/T_0)^{\alpha} dT[/tex].

There is no need to introduce Cv or gamma.
DrClaude
Sep30-13, 02:54 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,357
I have to disagree. Cv=∂U/∂T follows simply from the definition of heat capacity,
$$
C = \frac{Q}{\Delta T}
$$
by considering a constant volume (hence ##W=0##), without invoking an ideal gas.
nasu
Sep30-13, 03:26 PM
Quote Quote by DrClaude View Post
I have to disagree. Cv=∂U/∂T follows simply from the definition of heat capacity,
$$
C = \frac{Q}{\Delta T}
$$
by considering a constant volume (hence ##W=0##), without invoking an ideal gas.
Did I say anything that seem to contradict your statement? I just meant just that you don't need Cv to solve the problem. It does not appear in this problem.
Oh, I see. I used partial derivatives.

I meant that dU=CvdT may not apply to other systems.
It is valid only for some systems, like ideal gas in the "proper" definition.

So dU=Nk(α+1)(T/T0)^α dT
You don't need to define or use a specific heat to solve the problem.
Sorry for the confusion.
Chestermiller
Sep30-13, 07:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold

The whole point here is that U(T) is not given by
dU=CvdT but by that other, more complicated formula.
If he does what you suggest he'l get just the usual
[tex]TV^{\gamma -1 }= constant[/tex] and not the formula required by the problem.

But the method will work. This is what I tried to explain as well.
Just use
[tex]dU=Nk(\alpha +1) (T/T_0)^{\alpha} dT[/tex].

There is no need to introduce Cv or gamma.
This is exactly what I was suggesting. I brought the heat capacity into the picture because I felt the OP would feel more comfortable with it. For this particular ideal gas, Cv is not independent of temperature, but is given by:
[tex]C_v=Nk(\alpha +1) (T/T_0)^{\alpha}[/tex]
Are you uncomfortable with an ideal gas heat capacity that varies with temperature. A temperature-dependent heat capacity is part of the definition of an ideal gas that we engineers use.
nasu
Sep30-13, 08:38 PM
Are you uncomfortable with an ideal gas heat capacity that varies with temperature. A temperature-dependent heat capacity is part of the definition of an ideal gas that we engineers use.
Is this a question?
I don't feel any discomfort about temperature variation of Cv or about Cv in general. Even Cp it's bearable, despite all these pressure variations.

Register to reply