Register to reply

Heat transfer of coatings

by stephenjvb
Tags: coatings, heat, sunlight heating, transfer
Share this thread:
stephenjvb
Oct2-13, 10:51 AM
P: 1
I want to build a box that is warmed by sunlight.

I was told that aluminum in the sun is much cooler than bare aluminum, both because it absorbs less light (even infrared?) and because it is a better black body radiator than bare aluminum. Is this correct?

Ideally the surface toward the sun would absorb the most energy and radiate the least. Black paint should absorb more heat than bare aluminum, especially if it absorbs light into the infrared range, but will the paint transfer heat into the aluminum or will it act as an insulator in contact with the aluminum and just heat itself?

I will set up experiments, but I'd appreciate any information that I can get to simplify my tests.

Thanks

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Eye implant could lead to better glaucoma treatment
Electricity helping the blind navigate
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules (Update)
Alkim
Oct11-13, 02:21 PM
P: 98
You need to look for high emissivity coatings. There are commercial ones. Metals are very reflective and thus inappropriate.

Register to reply