Image reduction and analysis software for windows

by PLuz
Tags: analysis, astronomy, image, iraf, reduction, software, windows
PLuz
Oct3-13, 04:52 PM
P: 56
I'm not sure if this question belongs here, if that is the case I'm sorry.

I've been desperately trying to install IRAF on windows. Nothing seems to work. I've considered installing a Linux distro but since i'm using windows 8 that is not an option. So my question is: has anyone been able to install IRAF in windows? If so, how? If not, does someone of you astronomers use an equivalent software that works on windows?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Quest for extraterrestrial life not over, experts say
Continents may be a key feature of Super-Earths
Astronomers discover first self-lensing binary star system
Chronos
Oct3-13, 05:06 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,182
Linux is the best option for running IRAF on a pc. No native version of Windows will run IRAF. I would suggest a dual OS setup.
PLuz
Oct3-13, 05:49 PM
Now that what I was trying to avoid since online the opinion is that windows 8 doesn't like other OS. Well, Thank you for your answer.

phyzguy
Oct3-13, 06:39 PM
P: 2,070

Image reduction and analysis software for windows

I agree with Chronos. If you're doing science, get off of Windows and on to Linux ASAP. You can set up a dual-boot on your PC even if it's Windows 8. The two OS's are on different disk partitions and don't even know that the other one exists. Or if you're worried about that, buy a portable hard drive and install the Linux distro on that.
PLuz
Oct3-13, 08:51 PM
My recent experience on linux has been quite daunting...bumblebee, firefox crashing, and IRAF...IRAF is a real pain to install. But i followed your advice and set a dual boot. Thank you for your answers.
Chronos
Oct4-13, 12:36 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,182
I keep my OS's on separate drives. If you boot off a different drive for each OS, it seems to keep them clean.

Register to reply