Calculate Force: Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter snocavotia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate the initial force of a mechanism with the help of a picture. The person asking for help is unsure of what information is needed and how to calculate it. They are asked to provide a description of the mechanism and its materials in order for others to understand and assist. There is also a correction made regarding the use of 'wench' instead of 'winch'.
snocavotia
How can i calculate the initial force of this mechanism?https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3625527/4/Demo.jpg
I don't even know where to begin working on this part of my problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll need to put together some more info to obtain an answer, besides a pretty picture.

Who's the wench, Miley Cyrus?

I wish i could, But I am not for sure what kind of info or how to calculate it.

any ideas on what i need to supply?

Okay, Say the wench has a spring scale attached to it. The spring scale says its pulling at 50 Newtons right now. How do i get the force applied when i release the arm from the wench?

Well, for a start, identify what the lines in the picture mean, along with a description of what you are trying to do. Once that is done, then you need to specify what materials you want to use for the various parts and their sizes, etc. You know what it is you want to do. You have to describe it to others in order for them to understand.

Is it at all possible that you meant "wrench" rather than "wench"?

HallsofIvy said:
Is it at all possible that you meant "wrench" rather than "wench"?

No, it's an all-too-common mistake to confuse 'wench' [a female servant] with 'winch' [a mechanical device for hoisting].

1. What is force and why is it important to calculate?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is important to calculate because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects and their interactions with each other.

2. How do I calculate force using Newton's Second Law?

To calculate force using Newton's Second Law, you need to know the mass and acceleration of the object. The formula is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What units are used to measure force?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI). In the Imperial System, force is measured in pounds (lbs).

4. Can force be negative?

Yes, force can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive force. For example, if a force of 5N is acting in the positive direction, a force of -5N would be acting in the negative direction.

5. How does the direction of force affect its calculation?

The direction of force does not affect its calculation. Force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. However, when calculating force using Newton's Second Law, the direction is taken into account by using positive and negative signs to represent different directions.