the scalar field lagrangian

by qft1
Tags: field, lagrangian, scalar
qft1
Apr14-05, 02:26 AM
P: 1
Hi,

I have a question about a statement I've seen in many a Quantum Field Theory book (e.g. Zee). They say that the general form of the Lagrangian density for a scalar field, once two conditions are imposed:
(1) Lorentz invariance, and
(2) At most two time derivatives,
is:

L = 1/2(d\phi)^2 - V(\phi)

where V(\phi) is a polynomial in \phi.

Why is this? I can understand how the conditions restrict the kinetic energy term to being what it is, but I don't understand why V has to be _polynomial_ in \phi.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Haelfix
Apr14-05, 03:11 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,664
Good question.

The reason is dimensional analysis. The action must be dimensionless to be a lorentz invariant, so the lagrangian has to have dimension mass^4 .

So you can simply power count your fields to tabulate all renormalizable interactions. You've probably seen this before.. You know the spinor field has dimension 3/2, scalar fields dimension 1 etc

So for scalar fields you can only have a (phi)^3, or b phi^4 where a is dimension 1 and b is dimensionless.. Anything higher than that would lead to negative mass dimension coupling constants and a badly nonrenormalizable theory.
dextercioby
Apr14-05, 10:53 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,863
It's not a requirement for max.2 time-derivatives.Think about Weyl gravity.The Hamiltonian formalism can be externded to an arbitrary # of time derivatives in the "kinetic" term...

Daniel.

Register to reply