Series expansion of an integral at infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of "Series expansion of the integral at x -> inf" in Wolfram Alpha and how it relates to two divergent integrals. The possibility of a finite ratio between the two integrals is also mentioned, with the suggestion that when n=2, the expression converges to something meaningful. However, there is no specific function mentioned for n and the integrals are definite, making the quotient either a number or undefined. The possibility of creating functions and finding a Taylor expansion is also mentioned, with the caveat that the radius of convergence is a separate consideration.
Irid
Hello,
I'm fiddling with Wolfram Alpha and I can't find a definition of what do they mean by the "Series expansion of the integral at x -> inf". In particular, I have two divergent integrals and I am wondering whether their ratio is some finite number. Here it is:

[itex] \left[\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^n}e^{1/x}\, dx \right] \left[\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{u^2} \cos u\, du \right]^{-1}[/itex]

where n is a parameter. Based on wolfram's suggestion, I think that if n=2, the above expression converges to something meaningful, since both integrals apparently have the series expansion at infinity as exp(x^2).

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see any functions there with ##n## specified. The integrals are definite integrals, i.e. numbers or infinite. Hence the quotient is another number or undefined.

If you manage to make functions out of them, then you can of course write down a Taylor expansion. Radius of convergence is then a different question.

1. What is a series expansion of an integral at infinity?

A series expansion of an integral at infinity is a mathematical tool used to approximate the value of an integral as the upper limit of integration approaches infinity. It involves representing the integrand as an infinite sum of simpler functions, which can then be evaluated to obtain an approximation of the integral.

2. When is a series expansion of an integral at infinity used?

This technique is commonly used in the field of complex analysis, specifically in the evaluation of complex integrals. It is also useful in solving problems in physics, engineering, and other areas of mathematics that involve infinite limits or complex functions.

3. How does a series expansion of an integral at infinity work?

The method involves substituting the variable of integration with a new variable that tends to infinity, and then representing the integrand as an infinite sum of simpler functions using the Taylor or Laurent series. The series is then evaluated and integrated term by term, resulting in an approximation of the original integral.

4. What are the limitations of using a series expansion of an integral at infinity?

One limitation is that the series may not converge for all values of the original variable, leading to a divergent approximation. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the upper limit of integration increases, making it unsuitable for certain types of problems.

5. Can a series expansion of an integral at infinity be used to solve any type of integral?

No, this method is only applicable to certain types of integrals, such as those with infinite limits or complex integrands. It may not work for integrals with discontinuities or those that do not have a well-behaved series representation.