PAS (Pedal Assisted System) ebike

• Thread starter Rolandky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation is about designing and building a pedal assisted electric bike with the help of a sensor-controlled system. The bike should be able to assist with starting, hill climbing, and sensing when the rider wants to cycle at a low speed without using the motor. The main question is whether a cadence sensor or torque sensor would be more appropriate for this design. The conversation also suggests looking at existing ebikes for inspiration and information.
Rolandky
Hi, guys. I have been involved in one of my school project with this title. Is there anyone who can give me some guideline on how to design and build for it. I am a mechanical students. And this electrical and electronic stuffs are driving me nuts~ Please help me... Thx

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rolandky, Welcome to Physics Forums!

You will get members here to contribute ideas for your (Pedal Assisted System) ebike if you explain what it is.
What must it do? Give us all the specifications. If you don't know what is a "specification" then look it up.

Once you specify what you want to design and build, I guarantee some members will respond.

Likes 1 person
hmm~ sorry for tat because I am still a rookie here.
Well, basically, this ebike should have a pedal assisted system which is controlled by sensor. I am confusing with the part of ebike using the cadence sensor (speed sensor to detect the speed of the wheel) or the torque sensor ( to detect the starting torque).These sensor would be responsible for the input for the microcontroller so that i can come out with an intelligent bike. The microncontroller i use is Arduino Uno R3.

Basic operation or the smart gesture for this ebike include:
1. Able to assist for the starting (as the starting torque is high and require large force to initiate the bike)
2. Able to assist in hill climbing
3. Able to sense that the cyclist is intending to cycle at low speed without switching on the motor.

I had gone through some of the videos from Youtube and they are all using a torque sensor, The link is as below:

So, my question is that whether the cadence sensor or toruqe sensor is more applicable for this design?

Last edited by a moderator:
Electric bikes can be operated just like normal bicycles, but they can also be power-driven by a throttle or pedaled with the help of 'pedal-assist' (or 'PAS').

A torque sensor is a type of throttle control that determines how much power to apply to the motor depending on how hard the rider is pedaling. Electric bikes are not efficient when accelerating up to speed. A torque sensor allows the rider to help the ebike when it needs it the most: when it is accelerating and when climbing.
An ebike with a torque sensor also allows the rider to utilize the bike’s shifter gear train to find just the right gear where you can maintain the desired speed for the desired pedal input, just the same as riding a regular bike. Riding in pedal-assist mode, and not using a throttle only, increases the ebike’s range before recharging the battery becomes necessary.

A cadence sensor measures simply how fast you are pedaling. Simple cadence sensors are found on most pedal assist system (PAS) bikes on the market today. There is a safety consideration with a cadence sensor. Imagine you are pedaling hard on a cadence pedal assist system and your chain slips off, which results in you doing some fast rotations on the pedal crank. This would tell the bike to give you full throttle, and possibly propel the ebike into an accident.

If I was going to design an ebike using an Arduino Uno R3 then I would first look at existing ebikes already designed, built, and marketed so as to know what products and features already exist. We are free to use the good ideas/features of others without infringing on patent rights. Here are two ebike makers that offer a wide variety of automatic controls:
http://www.currietech.com/help-and-support/electric-bike-e-facts/
http://ezeebike.com/bikes-and-options/

For those not familiar with ebikes, this Wikipedia page gives an introduction, definition of terms, and a general overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on your project! Designing and building a PAS ebike can be a challenging but rewarding experience. As a mechanical student, it is understandable that the electrical and electronic components may be overwhelming, but don't worry, there are plenty of resources available to help you.

One important thing to keep in mind when designing a PAS ebike is the safety of the rider. It is crucial to ensure that all components are properly installed and functioning correctly to prevent any accidents or malfunctions. Additionally, it is important to research and follow any regulations or laws regarding ebikes in your area.

In terms of design, it would be helpful to first determine the specific requirements and goals of your project. This could include factors such as speed, range, and terrain. This will help guide your design choices and component selection.

There are also many resources available online, such as tutorials and forums, where you can find guidance and advice from experienced ebike builders. It may also be helpful to consult with a professional in the field, such as an electrical engineer or a bike mechanic.

Lastly, don't be afraid to experiment and try new things. Building an ebike is a learning process, and it may take some trial and error to get it right. Stay determined and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a PAS ebike?

A PAS (Pedal Assisted System) ebike is an electric bicycle that uses a motor and battery to provide assistance when pedaling. This means that the motor only works when the rider is pedaling, providing a boost to the rider's pedaling power.

2. How does a PAS ebike work?

A PAS ebike works by using a sensor that detects when the rider is pedaling. This sensor then sends a signal to the motor, which provides assistance based on the level of pedal pressure. The more pressure applied, the more assistance the motor provides.

3. How fast can a PAS ebike go?

The speed of a PAS ebike depends on the power of the motor and the type of terrain being ridden on. In general, most PAS ebikes have a top speed of around 20 mph. However, some models may have higher or lower top speeds.

4. Do I still need to pedal on a PAS ebike?

Yes, you still need to pedal on a PAS ebike. The motor only provides assistance while the rider is pedaling, and the level of assistance is dependent on the rider's pedaling. This means that the rider still needs to put in some effort, but the motor makes it easier to pedal.

5. Are PAS ebikes legal?

In most countries, PAS ebikes are considered legal as long as they meet certain criteria, such as having a maximum motor power and top speed. It is important to check with your local laws and regulations to ensure that you are using a legal PAS ebike.