Register to reply

Thermodynamics of Multicomponent Systems

Share this thread:
Mir17
Oct10-13, 08:17 AM
P: 2
Can someone provide me with a general understanding of the steps involved in completing this problem. How do I get started?

Calorimetric data on triethylamine (EA)-benzene (B) solutions at 298.15 K were obtained and follow the following expression: Hmix – [xBHB + (1 - xB)HEA] = xB(1 - xB)[1418 - 482.4(1 - 2xB) + 187.4(1 – 2xB)3]

(a)Develop expressions for (HB - HB) and (HEA - HEA). Note that Hi is the partial molar enthalpy of a species.

(b)Compute values for (HB - HB) and (HEA - HEA) at xB = 0.5. (c) One mole of a 25 mol% benzene mixture is to be mixed with one mole of a 75 mol% benzene mixture at 298.15 K. How much heat must be added or removed from the process to be isothermal?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Comfortable climate indoors with porous glass
Crash-testing rivets
Customized surface inspection
berkeman
Oct10-13, 11:10 AM
Mentor
P: 40,730
Quote Quote by Mir17 View Post
Can someone provide me with a general understanding of the steps involved in completing this problem. How do I get started?

Calorimetric data on triethylamine (EA)-benzene (B) solutions at 298.15 K were obtained and follow the following expression: Hmix – [xBHB + (1 - xB)HEA] = xB(1 - xB)[1418 - 482.4(1 - 2xB) + 187.4(1 – 2xB)3]

(a)Develop expressions for (HB - HB) and (HEA - HEA). Note that Hi is the partial molar enthalpy of a species.

(b)Compute values for (HB - HB) and (HEA - HEA) at xB = 0.5. (c) One mole of a 25 mol% benzene mixture is to be mixed with one mole of a 75 mol% benzene mixture at 298.15 K. How much heat must be added or removed from the process to be isothermal?
Check your PMs. This needs to be posted in the Homework Help, Chemistry forum, and you need to show your work toward a solution. This thread is locked.

Register to reply