[MATLAB] complex permittivity for earth ionosphere syntax

In summary, it is important to carefully analyze the equations and variables and troubleshoot any potential issues in order to successfully use the value of sigmar in gb(i,j).
s_hy

Homework Statement

I have these equations:

ga = exp(-[itex]σ^{R}[/itex]Δt/[itex]ε_{0}[/itex]*[itex]ε^{R}_{r}[/itex])

Homework Equations

[itex]σ^{R}[/itex]=([itex]ε_{0}[/itex]*[itex]ω^{2}_{p}[/itex]*v)/([itex]ω^{2}[/itex]+[itex]v^{2}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
%ionospheric profile for earth-ionosphere waveguide as coefficients
e = 1.602e-19;          % electron charge
ms = 9.109e-31;         % electron mass

for h = 10:150^3;
    v = 1.816*10^11*exp(-0.15*h);
end

load N191204.mat N
A = N(1,:);                   % electron density, N
omegap = A*e.^2/ms*eps;
epsr   = 1-(omegap.^2/omega.^2+v.^2);
sigmar = (eps*omegap.^2*v)/(omega.^2+v.^2);

%property coefficient
for i=1:k                                  
    for j=1:k;
        ga(i,j)=exp(-(sigmar*dt)/(eps*epsr));  
        gb(i,j)=(1-ga(i,j))/sigmar;              
    end;
end;

the problem is, i have problem with matrix dimension.

Warning: Rank deficient, rank = 0, tol = NaN.
> In propagation2d at 60
Error using /
Matrix dimensions must agree.

Error in propagation2d (line 61)
gb(i,j)=(1-ga(i,j))/sigmar;

i declare ga(i,j) in 2d because ga value is depend on height and distance as well but sigmar is in 1d (the value of sigma is depends on v where v depends on h-height only)..

anyone have idea what i should do in order to use the value of sigmar in gb(i,j)..i use MATLAB for this coding.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully analyze and understand the equations and variables involved in the problem. In this case, it seems like there may be a mismatch in dimensions between the variables used in the equations and those used in the code.

The first step would be to check the dimensions of each variable and ensure that they align with the equations. It may be helpful to write out the equations in a more simplified form to better understand the relationships between the variables.

Once the dimensions have been confirmed, the next step would be to check the logic and syntax of the code to ensure that it accurately reflects the equations. It may also be helpful to break down the code into smaller sections and test them individually to identify where the issue may be occurring.

If the problem persists, it may be beneficial to seek assistance from a colleague or consult other resources, such as textbooks or online forums, for further guidance. It is important to fully understand the problem and any potential errors in order to find an appropriate solution.

What is complex permittivity in the context of the earth's ionosphere?

Complex permittivity is a measure of the ability of a material to store and release energy in an electric field. In the context of the earth's ionosphere, it refers to the ability of the ionosphere to absorb and reflect electromagnetic waves.

How is complex permittivity measured for the earth's ionosphere?

The complex permittivity of the earth's ionosphere can be measured using a variety of methods, including radar, satellite measurements, and ground-based instruments. These methods typically use radio waves to probe the ionosphere and measure its response.

What is the syntax for calculating complex permittivity in MATLAB?

The syntax for calculating complex permittivity in MATLAB varies depending on the specific application and data available. However, in general, it involves using functions and operations to manipulate and analyze data, such as using the fft function to calculate the Fourier transform of the ionosphere's electric field.

What factors can affect the complex permittivity of the earth's ionosphere?

The complex permittivity of the earth's ionosphere can be affected by a variety of factors, including solar activity, atmospheric conditions, and the presence of charged particles. These factors can cause fluctuations in the ionosphere's density, temperature, and composition, which in turn can affect its ability to absorb and reflect electromagnetic waves.

Why is understanding complex permittivity important for studying the earth's ionosphere?

Understanding the complex permittivity of the earth's ionosphere is crucial for a variety of applications, including telecommunications, navigation, and weather forecasting. By understanding how the ionosphere interacts with electromagnetic waves, scientists can better predict and mitigate the effects of ionospheric disturbances on these technologies.