Register to reply

Aluminium adhesive

by Notinuse
Tags: adhesive, aluminium
Share this thread:
Notinuse
Oct13-13, 09:55 AM
P: 4
I need a recommendations on a glue to stick aluminium foil.

Due to the size I need a product that can be brought in larger quantities rather than in small tubes; like a tub of wood glue or wallpaper paste.

I'm asking because aluminium is reactive and I need something that will stick, but not react.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
Autonomy expert led team in developing "self-flying planes"
SteamKing
Oct13-13, 11:46 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,711
Reactive with what? You know, they wrap food with aluminum foil.
AlephZero
Oct13-13, 12:55 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,274
Aluminum is very reactive, if you disrupt the AlOH film that forms on the surface (of the order of only one molecule thick) when it is in contact with air.

That's why mercury-in-glass thermometers are banned from aluminum-framed aircraft.

On the other hand, AlOH is very inert, which is why Al is hard to solder, for example - but if the surface film has broken and can't re-form properly, it is virtually impossible to stop the reaction.

Integral
Oct13-13, 02:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 7,332
Aluminium adhesive

I was once stirring molten Al with a Stainless steel rod....The stainless "melted" into the Al. Al is very reactive, of course molten Al is more so then solid due to the thermal energy present.
Integral
Oct13-13, 03:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 7,332
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Aluminum is very reactive, if you disrupt the AlOH film that forms on the surface (of the order of only one molecule thick) when it is in contact with air.

That's why mercury-in-glass thermometers are banned from aluminum-framed aircraft.

On the other hand, AlOH is very inert, which is why Al is hard to solder, for example - but if the surface film has broken and can't re-form properly, it is virtually impossible to stop the reaction.
Isn't this as much of a demonstration of the re activity of Hg as well as Al? I once was playing with some Hg, great fun!, and watch regular tin/lead solder simply vanish into the Hg.
Notinuse
Oct14-13, 11:25 AM
P: 4
Since the foil is pretty air tight 'drying adhesives' probably aren't going to work.

Register to reply