Surface Area of Rotated Curve: How to Solve for the Integral of sqrt(x^4+1)/x^3?

• Thread starter freshman2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the student is trying to find the surface area of a function rotated about the x-axis from 1 to infinity, but is getting stuck. They are looking for help from a different approach, and are considering heuristically what simpler function that integral looks like when x is very large.
freshman2013

Homework Statement

This is actually part of this problem: find the surface area of (1/x) rotated about the x-axis from 1 to infinity

Homework Equations

Surface Area=∫2[itex]\pi[/itex]y[itex]\sqrt{1+(dy/dx)^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative of (1/x)=-1/x^2
so I have ∫2[itex]\pi[/itex](1/x)[itex]\sqrt{1+1/x^4}[/itex]
=∫2[itex]\pi[/itex](1/x)[itex]\sqrt{(x^4+1)/x^4}[/itex]
and got 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sqrt{(x^4+1)}/x^3[/itex]
Now I'm stuck. I can't do trig sub since they aren't powers of 2, x^4+1 isn't a perfect square, so what should I do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of trying to evaluate it directly you might want to first consider heuristically what simpler function that integral looks like when x is very large (I realize this sounds like a weird suggestion but it will make sense in the end)

Ok, it "looks" like 1/x as x approaches infinity. How will this help me?

Well, can you tell me what
[tex] \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x} dx [/tex]
is?

infinity, right?

EDIT, so the original has also to be infinity?

Right, now can you use that result to show that your integral is infinity also? Not in a 'it looks like the same kind of' way but in stating correct mathematical theorems.

No, I never seen nor done your method before
EDIT: wait, limit comparison test? Even though I only learned of it for series, it's the only thing I can think of that makes sense

Oh, that's unfortunate because I have never seen an example of this question where someone expects you to actually evaluate the integral.

Yes, there is a version of the limit comparison test for integrals I had assumed you were supposed to do something like that for this integral (although just the regular comparison test is taught more often, anything that involves comparing integrals is sufficient).

As far as calculating it exactly, I highly recommend the substitution u=1/x4 but be prepared for a solid slog through the muck on this one.

1. What is the formula for the integral of sqrt(x^4+1)/x^3?

The formula for the integral of sqrt(x^4+1)/x^3 is 1/4 * (x^2 * sqrt(x^4+1) - ln(x) * sqrt(x^4+1) + 2 * arctan(x^2/sqrt(x^4+1)) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How can I solve the integral of sqrt(x^4+1)/x^3?

To solve the integral of sqrt(x^4+1)/x^3, you can use the substitution method by letting u = x^2 and du = 2x dx. This will transform the integral into 1/2 * (sqrt(u+1)/u) du, which can then be solved using integration by parts or by using the table of integrals.

3. Is there an easier way to solve the integral of sqrt(x^4+1)/x^3?

Yes, you can also use the trigonometric substitution method by letting x = tan(theta). This will transform the integral into 1/4 * (sec(theta) * tan(theta) * sec(theta) + ln(sec(theta))) d(theta), which can then be solved using the trigonometric identities.

4. Can the integral of sqrt(x^4+1)/x^3 be solved using numerical methods?

Yes, the integral of sqrt(x^4+1)/x^3 can also be solved using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve approximating the integral by breaking it down into smaller intervals and using a formula to calculate the area under the curve.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the integral of sqrt(x^4+1)/x^3?

Yes, the integral of sqrt(x^4+1)/x^3 has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the displacement of a vibrating object, and the production cost of a product with a changing cost function.