Ophthalmic Migraine: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the woman had a very weird experience where she saw a thin glowing white crescent filled with black geometric designs in her peripheral vision. The ring eventually drifted out of her vision and changed throughout the course of the experience. This experience is called ophthalmic migraine and is fairly common. The woman is under too much stress and her blood pressure may be up.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I had a very weird experience earlier today. I suddenly noticed a thin glowing white crescent filled with black geometrical designs in my peripheral vision.

The only way I can explain it is if you were to take a thin glowing ring and cut it in half, keeping only the left half. It's glowing white, but is filled with portions of concentric circles and diagonal lines as if parts of triangles were visible, these are all black. The light is somehow flickering very fast, but not getting darker or brighter.

The half ring continued to grow larger, then the designs at the top started rotating to the left as the bottom designs started rotating to the right, then the designs in the middle started undulating. The entire ring started to turn clockwise very slowly.

I was very concerned, to say the least. I could tell it had to do with my vision as the half ring remained in my peripheral vision when I moved my eyes. I found online a description that might explain what I was seeing. It is called ophthalmic migraine. The ring finally drifted out of my vision after about 15 minutes, changing the entire time. When I was reading online I noticed the the letters under the "ring" were not visible at all.

It was absolutely fascinating.

Has anyone here experienced one of these or know about them?

Here is the explanation: "Ophthalmic migraine is quite common. Patients usually experience visual symptoms of seeing bright zig-zag type lines in their central or peripheral (side) vision. These bright lines may have associated flashing light sensations and sometimes can interfere with vision. There are many variations of symptoms. These symptoms usually resolve spontaneously after several minutes but usually less than one hour. Often, rest in a darkened room can be helpful during a migraine attack. Medical treatment is usually not necessary."

http://eugeneeyecare.com/conditions/Ophthalmic_Migraine.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, "ocular migraine:" my first had me at the eye doctor's in five minutes thinking detached retina. It's mother nature's way of telling you you're very tired and need more sleep. Genuine migraine sufferers call it "the aura," and can sometimes cut off the development of the full-blown migraine given the few minutes warning the ocular/opthalmic effect gives them. Consider yourself fortunate so long as it goes no further --- don't even try reading --- all you'll do is frustrate yourself and aggravate the condition --- take a nap, then get back to what you were doing.

Bystander said:
Also, "ocular migraine:" my first had me at the eye doctor's in five minutes thinking detached retina. It's mother nature's way of telling you you're very tired and need more sleep.
You hit the nail on the head there, I am suffering from severe chronic fatigue and lack of sleep. :cry:

All kinds of scary thoughts entered my mind at first, then I calmed down when I realized what it probably was. I've never had a migraine, and these are apparently painless.

Evo said:
You hit the nail on the head there, I am suffering from severe chronic fatigue and lack of sleep. :cry:
Okay, okay! I'm sorry! I'll put the doggie suit away for a few nights. :frown:

wow that would of scared me to death! I would consider a trip to the doc's just to be on the safe side. High blood pressure can also cause these effects.

hypatia said:
wow that would of scared me to death! I would consider a trip to the doc's just to be on the safe side. High blood pressure can also cause these effects.
Maybe she's just been looking at too many smilies. :approve: Like I said about avatar #3--you look like you're working too hard. I hope I'm not being too much of a pain in...other areas. :rolleyes: Go get one of your cuddle cats and get some sleep (definitely not anything in a dog costume). And if you don't feel better, you may want to make a doctor appointment.

SOS2008 said:
Maybe she's just been looking at too many smilies. :approve: Like I said about avatar #3--you look like you're working too hard. I hope I'm not being too much of a pain in...other areas. :rolleyes: Go get one of your cuddle cats and get some sleep (definitely not anything in a dog costume). And if you don't feel better, you may want to make a doctor appointment.
I am under too much stress. :frown:

I'm sure my blood pressure is up.

And I'm getting old. :cry:

SOS2008 said:
(definitely not anything in a dog costume).
Sure... :grumpy: Just when I start making serious plans to open a puppy farm, she gets a headache... :tongue:

Evo said:
And I'm getting old. :cry:
Nonsense, my dear. You're weeks younger than me.

Just as a side note, when I was taking anthropology this summer we studied about the trancing rituals and experiences of shamans across different cultures. The first stage of a trance that is typically reported is the experience of "entoptic phenomena" which I believe to be a kind of self-induced migraine, but I've never been able to find anymore infomation on this.

They report luminous shapes and incandescent patterns very much like what you described. I found Bystander's post very interesting because one of the things that some shamans will do to prepare for a trancing ceremony is to deprive themselves of sleep.

Evo, perhaps you are becoming the PF shaman? :smile:

(Lemme know - I need a money spell.)

Math Is Hard said:
Just as a side note, when I was taking anthropology this summer we studied about the trancing rituals and experiences of shamans across different cultures. The first stage of a trance that is typically reported is the experience of "entoptic phenomena" which I believe to be a kind of self-induced migraine, but I've never been able to find anymore infomation on this.

They report luminous shapes and incandescent patterns very much like what you described. I found Bystander's post very interesting because one of the things that some shamans will do to prepare for a trancing ceremony is to deprive themselves of sleep.
It's amazing what our bodies and mind are capable of. According to the link I gave "The cause is due to a temporary spasm in the blood vessels behind the eye called "vasospasm" similar to a spasm or cramp that you may have once experienced in one of your leg muscles (Charlie-Horse)." I guess it would not be that hard to induce? Or maybe shamans were more prone to this sort of thing?

Evo, perhaps you are becoming the PF shaman? :smile:
I have had a really strong urge to whirl a dead chicken over my head lately. How much money do you want? :tongue2:

Evo said:
Or maybe shamans were more prone to this sort of thing?
I didn't think about that. Could be hereditary. Shamans' kids do tend to go into the family business in many cultures.
Evo said:
I have had a really strong urge to whirl a dead chicken over my head lately. How much money do you want? :tongue2:
LOL! :rofl:

Evo said:
It's amazing what our bodies and mind are capable of. According to the link I gave "The cause is due to a temporary spasm in the blood vessels behind the eye called "vasospasm" similar to a spasm or cramp that you may have once experienced in one of your leg muscles (Charlie-Horse)." I guess it would not be that hard to induce? Or maybe shamans were more prone to this sort of thing?:
Charlie-horse? Hmm...maybe a vitamin deficiency...possible sleep apnea--do you have allergies?

I have had a really strong urge to whirl a dead chicken over my head lately. How much money do you want? :tongue2:[/QUOTE]A change in environment may be helpful--start planning some time off. Oh yeh, dirty martinis...mmmmm--you can come here, but it is getting friggin' hot already--geez! Oh yeh, and alcohol contributes to sleep apnea. :grumpy: Seriously, looking at a monitor too much could be bothering you. I'll be the moderator for awhile--oh wouldn't that be scary!

SOS2008 said:
Charlie-horse? Hmm...maybe a vitamin deficiency...possible sleep apnea--do you have allergies?
I lack vitamins and I have allergies, and possible sleep apnea.

A change in environment may be helpful--start planning some time off. Oh yeh, dirty martinis...mmmmm--you can come here, but it is getting friggin' hot already--geez! Oh yeh, and alcohol contributes to sleep apnea. :grumpy: Seriously, looking at a monitor too much could be bothering you. I'll be the moderator for awhile--oh wouldn't that be scary!
Ok,you can be moderator, and I will just sleep, do housework, yardwork, cook and relax. :smile:

Evo said:
I don't know if this is standard, or just an individual thing, but my mother got really severe leg cramps at night. What cured them almost instantly was a dose of fast-acting calcium supplement. You are (and I seriously mean no offense by it) getting around the age where that can be a critical shortage. As for the apnea, your Earth-shattering <snorting> could very well be a result of that. :biggrin:

Evo said:
All kinds of scary thoughts entered my mind at first, then I calmed down when I realized what it probably was.

Would you mind sharing those thoughts? Sorry if that's a strange or inappropriate question, and I understand if you don't want to answer it... I'm just interested in the psychology of that sort of situation. Also, have you ever experienced any sort of major visual hallucination before this?

My first thought was where did you get the mushrooms you were cooking with. :bugeye:

You should take the other's advice and see a doctor soon. You'll certainly want to rule out a detaching retina...that can cause all sorts of weird flashes that you'll see, and they can repair it before it becomes fully detached, but not after (AFAIK). Not something worth taking a wait and see approach to.

It would seem rather odd for you to get the visual halo thing of a migraine and not get a migraine to go with it. I'm not sure though. But if this is a prelude of migraines to come, again, it's time for a check-up; make sure your blood pressure is okay and all that good stuff.

Evo said:

Ok,you can be moderator, and I will just sleep, do housework, yardwork, cook and relax. :smile:
As I suspected. We need to get you on a vitamin regimen. Then you may want to put an air filter in you bedroom, maybe a prescription for a nasal spray and/or something like Singulair that you can take in the evening to help you breath. As for the stress, well you will need to reflect on this. I am a neat/tidy person who also likes to cook, and have minimal yardwork, but if you want to help out, the guest bedroom and bath are yours--oh, and the pool is getting warm--it's great to float about with some tunes playing on the boombox. I'll moderate, but only if you are available for guidance. The stress is already going away, huh? :smile: Did I mention some guys I could introduce you to?

SOS2008 said:
As I suspected. We need to get you on a vitamin regimen. Then you may want to put an air filter in you bedroom, maybe a prescription for a nasal spray and/or something like Singulair that you can take in the evening to help you breath. As for the stress, well you will need to reflect on this. I am a neat/tidy person who also likes to cook, and have minimal yardwork, but if you want to help out, the guest bedroom and bath are yours--oh, and the pool is getting warm--it's great to float about with some tunes playing on the boombox. I'll moderate, but only if you are available for guidance. The stress is already going away, huh? :smile: Did I mention some guys I could introduce you to?

Pool? Tunes? Warm? Floating? Guys?
*shoves Evo back to her moderator control panel* I'm on the way SOS! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Pool? Tunes? Warm? Floating? Guys?
*shoves Evo back to her moderator control panel* I'm on the way SOS! :biggrin:
Excellent--I have a pretty nice sofa too (with a half bath downstairs), and then when it gets too hot, let's go with MIH to Oregon to visit Ivan & Tsu and crew! Woohooo! Don't worry--I won't make you help process olives. The olives are past the point already this season... About the guys... Do they need to be smart too? :rofl:

Moonbear said:
(snip)It would seem rather odd for you to get the visual halo thing of a migraine and not get a migraine to go with it. I'm not sure though. But if this is a prelude of migraines to come, again, it's time for a check-up; make sure your blood pressure is okay and all that good stuff.

Ocular migraine is actually fairly common --- still worth getting a doc's diagnosis --- the follow up, full-blown migraine is something I've yet to experience, but the oculars shut me down 2-3 times a month --- tired, low blood sugar, whatever ---sleep it off.

Bystander said:
Ocular migraine is actually fairly common --- still worth getting a doc's diagnosis --- the follow up, full-blown migraine is something I've yet to experience, but the oculars shut me down 2-3 times a month --- tired, low blood sugar, whatever ---sleep it off.
Low blood sugar? Fatigue? Are these things related in any way?

SOS2008 said:
Low blood sugar? Fatigue? Are these things related in any way?
Absolutely! Your entire body is powered by oxidizing glucose (burning sugar). There are an awful lot of different processes, such as glycolytic and oxidative phosphorilation, but essentially everything that you eat, other than minerals, becomes sugar of some sort. It gets reformed into bodily structures such as cartilidge and muscle and fat, or burned for energy, but it has to get through the bloodstream first and it does so as sugar. When I was diabetic, my primary problem was a serious hypoglycemic loop at the end of the cycle. Sometimes I'd get so weak and tired that I couldn't move. After a good sugar blast to bring me back up, I'd be bouncing off of the ceiling.
That's as far as I'm willing to go when there are experts like Moonbear around, but I thought that maybe a first-hand account could make the point.

hypnagogue said:
Would you mind sharing those thoughts? Sorry if that's a strange or inappropriate question, and I understand if you don't want to answer it... I'm just interested in the psychology of that sort of situation. Also, have you ever experienced any sort of major visual hallucination before this?
Not scary thoughts as in feeling frightened, but wondering how serious what specifically was causing the designs was, was it some type of stroke (my dad died from a stroke when he was only three years older than I am now), did something detach inside my eye (some type of floater)? Those types of thoughts. Basically trying to determine what had happened.

No history of hallucinations. Also, I could tell this was something physically wrong in my eye.

Evo:
If I remember correctly, Oliver Sachs has commented at length on migraine in one of his books, and provides an account from Hildegard from Bingen that she might have suffered from something like you experienced.
Oliver Sachs is a neurologist; his most famous study/book gave rise to the movie "The Awakening".

Moonbear said:
It would seem rather odd for you to get the visual halo thing of a migraine and not get a migraine to go with it. I'm not sure though. But if this is a prelude of migraines to come, again, it's time for a check-up; make sure your blood pressure is okay and all that good stuff.
It's actually not the visual halo from a migraine, it's different and there is no headache.

Here is an example, except mine was a single band of designs and had no color, just black designs on a white band. Mine also did not break apart at the end. Mine was more like the middle example, also my designs were spinning in different directions.

http://www.eyeguys.net/ocular.jpg

http://www.eyeguys.net/ocularmigraine.html

Last edited by a moderator:
SOS2008 said:
My bags are packed! :tongue2: I even bought new color coordinated support hose to match my bathing suit. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Also, I could tell this was something physically wrong in my eye.
I'm a little curious as to how you're so sure of that. Something affecting the optic nerve or visual cortex could have the same effect, and would appear in the same part of your visual field when you move your eyes because it would be referenced to their position. Also, occular pressure can cause somewhat similar phenomena. Had a gloucoma test lately?
I do tend to agree that it's probably in the eye itself because of it being black and white. A lot of people don't realize it, but peripheral vision always is B/W. There are no cones in the part of the retina that detects it (for simplicity and information density).

Danger said:
I'm a little curious as to how you're so sure of that. Something affecting the optic nerve or visual cortex could have the same effect, and would appear in the same part of your visual field when you move your eyes because it would be referenced to their position. Also, occular pressure can cause somewhat similar phenomena. Had a gloucoma test lately?
I should have said something to do with the eyes (such as optic nerve, etc...) as opposed to being a "hallucination". I had my eyes tested recently, they're fine.

I do tend to agree that it's probably in the eye itself because of it being black and white. A lot of people don't realize it, but peripheral vision always is B/W. There are no cones in the part of the retina that detects it (for simplicity and information density).
As soon as I saw that it was a type of migraine I relaxed and just enjoyed it. I'd like to see another one, it was so fascinating. I know that sounds weird.

Did you see the example I posted? All the descripions I've found talk about the beautiful colors. But I've been accused of seeing things in only black and white before. :tongue2:

Y don't you just go to an eye Doctor and stop questioning the non-eye doctors. :rofl: :tongue2:

Evo said:
I know that sounds weird.
Not really, given the source. :tongue:

Evo said:
Did you see the example I posted?
Yeah. I'm really amazed at all of the detail in that clock. I thought you meant something abstract. :biggrin:

I get these frequently. I can remember seeing strange colours and apparent objects/shadows at least ten years ago (I'm 19 now). The migraines became really troublesome four or five years ago. When I had my first serious attack, I figured I was going blind or something and nearly panicked. :blushing:

The worst part is trying to get to sleep. They appear even when I close my eyes, and can be a horrible distraction (think screensaver).

But sometimes I don't see colours so much as a kind of blank grey patch. Sort of like when you focus at some object without blinking at length, and your peripheral vision gets fuzzy. These are worse because I won't know when they conceal parts of my view until I consciously have trouble seeing something in their field. :grumpy:

I'm also sensitive with retinal burns -- a glimpse of black text on white paper in medium light can leave an impression lasting a few seconds. I can't handle high-contrast at all. Checkerboard patterns are deadly. :yuck:

In bright settings, I see strange objects like translucent cells or strands and darting pulses/dots, while in dark settings, it all gets grainy and I extrapolate false images from shadows. :bugeye:

I've managed to get a handle on things for the most part by now. I tend to get migraines (even the painful kind) when I'm fatigued or dehydrated, so I try to keep them in check. I expect I'll be consulting an eye doctor for the other problems not far in the future, though I've almost gotten used to them. :cool:

abhishek said:
In bright settings, I see strange objects like translucent cells or strands and darting pulses/dots
I had that one time.. I saw flies but everytime I would look at them they quickly darted away. It was confusing since the fly would disappear into nothing and I didn't know where it had gone :rolleyes:

Evo said:
My bags are packed! :tongue2: I even bought new color coordinated support hose to match my bathing suit. :biggrin:
:rofl: I see you got the message about what we will all be wearing. :rofl: Oooops, um yes, with the Brazil cut, of course.

Monique said:
I had that one time.. I saw flies but everytime I would look at them they quickly darted away. It was confusing since the fly would disappear into nothing and I didn't know where it had gone :rolleyes:
I've only experienced this once during finals week when I had little to no sleep for about three days straight. This is why I asked about sleep deprivation, but I knew what I was seeing was hallucination.

1. What is an ophthalmic migraine?

An ophthalmic migraine, also known as a retinal migraine, is a type of migraine that involves visual disturbances or changes in vision. These changes can include blind spots, flashing lights, or zigzag patterns in the field of vision. They can occur in one or both eyes and typically last for 10-30 minutes.

2. What causes ophthalmic migraines?

The exact cause of ophthalmic migraines is not fully understood. However, it is believed that they are caused by changes in blood flow to the retina or changes in the nerve cells in the eye. Certain triggers, such as stress, hormonal changes, and certain foods or drinks, can also contribute to the development of ophthalmic migraines.

3. What are the symptoms of ophthalmic migraines?

The main symptom of ophthalmic migraines is visual disturbances or changes in vision. This can include blind spots, flashing lights, or zigzag patterns in the field of vision. Some people may also experience a headache, nausea, or sensitivity to light and sound along with the visual disturbances.

4. How are ophthalmic migraines treated?

There is no specific treatment for ophthalmic migraines. However, some people may find relief by taking over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, during an episode. It is also important to identify and avoid triggers, such as stress and certain foods or drinks, to prevent future episodes. In some cases, a doctor may prescribe medication to help prevent or reduce the frequency of ophthalmic migraines.

5. Can ophthalmic migraines cause permanent vision loss?

Ophthalmic migraines typically do not cause permanent vision loss. The visual disturbances experienced during an episode are usually temporary and resolve within 30 minutes. However, if you experience any changes in vision that last longer than 30 minutes, it is important to seek medical attention as it could be a sign of a more serious condition.