For any Pythagorean triple, the number of primes under a + b + c must

by goldust
Tags: number, primes, pythagorean, triple
goldust
Oct29-13, 03:34 PM
P: 85
be no more than c? In fact, only for the first triple does equality hold. Upon examining some of the triples, I noticed this must be true. However, I'm having a hard time explaining why. Is there a good explanation for this? Many thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
Office_Shredder
Oct29-13, 04:25 PM
Mentor
P: 4,499
Since c is larger than a or b, you're basically saying the number of primes smaller than 3c is less than c... for c sufficiently large this is because the number of primes smaller than n is log(n). So the only worry would be that for c small you could have a counterexample and it just turns out there isn't one I guess. There might be a more solid reason but I would guess this is probably all that's happening.
willem2
Oct30-13, 03:12 AM
P: 1,351
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
Since c is larger than a or b, you're basically saying the number of primes smaller than 3c is less than c... for c sufficiently large this is because the number of primes smaller than n is log(n).
the number of primes smaller than n is approximately n/log(n), or more precisely:

lim n→∞ (pi(n) log (n)) / n = 1

where pi(n) is the number of primes smaller than n. (prime number theorem)

You don't really need the prime number theorem here. If you only consider division by 2,3 and 5 it's easy to see that pi(n)< (8/30)n + 8 (because n mod 30 must be in {1,7,11,13,17,19,23,29})

Register to reply