Register to reply

Unit Vectors and Vector Components

by Alexrey
Tags: components, unit, vector, vectors
Share this thread:
Alexrey
Oct30-13, 05:59 PM
P: 34
I remember in my first year physics classes, when dealing with a force F we would find the vector's x- and y-components using [tex]F_x=r cos(θ)[/tex] and [tex]F_y=r sin(θ)[/tex] I also remember learning in my mathematics classes about unit vectors, but cannot seem to remember using them to break vectors down into their respective x- and y-components. As such, I thought I'd ask this question: Am I correct in thinking that when using a Cartesian coordinate system to describe a force F, if we find the unit vector for F, are the x- and y- components of this unit vector equivalent to [tex]cos(θ)[/tex] and [tex]sin(θ)[/tex] respectively?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researcher figures out how sharks manage to act like math geniuses
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Mark44
Oct30-13, 07:18 PM
Mentor
P: 21,402
Quote Quote by Alexrey View Post
I remember in my first year physics classes, when dealing with a force F we would find the vector's x- and y-components using [tex]F_x=r cos(θ)[/tex] and [tex]F_y=r sin(θ)[/tex] I also remember learning in my mathematics classes about unit vectors, but cannot seem to remember using them to break vectors down into their respective x- and y-components. As such, I thought I'd ask this question: Am I correct in thinking that when using a Cartesian coordinate system to describe a force F, if we find the unit vector for F, are the x- and y- components of this unit vector equivalent to [tex]cos(θ)[/tex] and [tex]sin(θ)[/tex] respectively?
Yes, assuming θ is the angle that F makes with the x-axis.

Think about it.
Fx = |F| cos(θ)
Fy = |F| sin(θ)

To get unit vectors, divide each of the above by its magnitude, |F|.
Alexrey
Nov1-13, 05:28 PM
P: 34
Great, thank you.

Register to reply