Sleep Pattern

by Woopydalan
Tags: pattern, sleep
Woopydalan
Nov2-13, 10:55 AM
P: 746
Hello,

I woke up really early today fully awake, around 5:15am. However, feeling that it was too early and taboo to be up at this time (especially on a saturday), I went back to sleep and woke up again at 8:20 am, but this time feeling very tired and groggy, not wanting to get out of bed. I am curious, how is it that I can sleep another 3 hours, yet feel completely tired, when I was lacking that 3 hours I was perfectly awake.

Yet most days of the week, I wake up at 6:15am with an alarm clock and also have that groggy feeling. Is an irregular sleep pattern the cause of the groginess? I should mention I will go to sleep from 10-11pm, so all the times I am talking about have roughly the same starting hour of going to sleep.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Low Vitamin D may not be a culprit in menopause symptoms
Masculine boys, feminine girls more likely to engage in cancer risk behaviors
Modified stem cells offer potential pathway to treat Alzheimer's disease
sozme
Nov3-13, 03:58 PM
P: 15
I believe you enter REM every ~90 minutes, so if you woke up during this time you would feel quite groggy since its your deepest stage of sleep. I should really brush up on sleep physiology, though.
Pythagorean
Nov3-13, 04:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,180
That's what I remember from intro neuro. Your thalamus has the job of doing the switching between wake/sleep state and when you wake up in the middle of sleep state, you still have a lot of switching over left to do.

If I have time later, I'll dig up some proper research. A lot can change in neuroscience in 5 years.

Register to reply