Liquid that hardens fast on a chosen moment

In summary, a user on a forum is searching for a glossy white, opaque liquid that hardens quickly and is not adhesive for an artistic project. They are considering using ultraviolet light or a strong magnetic field to achieve the desired hardening. Various suggestions are given, including using UV cured resins, magnetoresistive materials, and supersaturated solutions. Sodium Acetate is also suggested as a potential solution.
bartatphysics
Hello to all,

I am new here, with almost the same question like on this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=310911

A question for an artistic project:
I am searching for a not too dangerous (glossy white) opaque liquid that hardens very fast on a chosen moment, but is not adhesive.

It have to stay liquid till i decide that it have to become hard.
The process of hardening have to be very fast, in a few seconds or in a minute, if possible.

It have to be opaque and ideally it have to be glossy white, density a bit more then water.

I am thinking for hardening with Ultraviolet light that is switch on a moment for few seconds.
Or other possibilities are more then welcome.

Thanks for tips & tricks, searching already for a year.
Bart

Engineering news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to mechanical&chemistry engineering, that fits better than "General Discussion".

How large is the volume that has to get solid?
A supercooled liquid could be possible, there are many videos of this effect on youtube (one example. I think you can make the water (or whatever liquid you use) opaque with some additional ingredients.

For a one time transition, but may not work for bulk liquids, search under Rapid Prototype liquid resins - they will cure under a UV laser, but likely only for a thin film. There are also some UV curable epoxies, but you'd want the type that cure the bulk of the material once any part of it is exposed to UV (Hg UV lamps are typically used for this). For a fast (millisecond) transitioning material, and 100% reversable, search Magnetoresistive and Magnetorheological materials (IIRC the Lord company makes these). They are ferrite loaded liquids, which become 'solid' when exposed to strong enough magnetic fields. They are only available in a grey color.

Thanks for fast and interested replies!

@mfb: Good to move the thread.
The volume will be a kind of blob, let say minimum 10cm and maximum 30cm diameter. @rocketsci5kn:
It doesn't have to be UV, but that seams to me a good solution.
How strong has to be the magnetic field?
Don't find to much about that company and their products?

A blob 30 cm on the side is not going to harden quickly. Even 10 cm is a real stretch.
The UV cured resins used in dentistry are usually a few mm to a side and they cure irreversibly.

The magnetoresistive materials are not cheap and have pretty severe constraints afaik for shape and size, including that the magnetic field has to be somehow induced, so the blob will be confined within the apparatus.

Do note that there are supersaturated solutions that will crystallize out into pretty arbitrary shapes, set by the container. Some of these solutions are non toxic and the process is reversible in instances simply by heating the material.

http://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/magneto-rheological-(mr).xml [Broken]

Search this term on youtube also for interesting videos. Not sure of the magnetic field strength needed - grab a datasheet and find out...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the scientific explanation for liquid that hardens fast on a chosen moment?

The rapid hardening of a liquid on a chosen moment is due to a chemical reaction that occurs when a catalyst is added to the liquid. The catalyst acts as a trigger, causing the molecules in the liquid to quickly bond together and form a solid state.

2. How does the chosen moment affect the hardening process of the liquid?

The chosen moment is crucial as it determines when the catalyst is added to the liquid. If the catalyst is added too early or too late, it can affect the chemical reaction and result in an incomplete or uneven hardening of the liquid.

3. Can any liquid be used for this "fast hardening" process?

No, not all liquids have the ability to rapidly harden. The liquid must have the necessary chemical properties and be compatible with the chosen catalyst in order for the process to work effectively.

4. What are some common uses for liquid that hardens fast on a chosen moment?

This type of liquid is commonly used in construction, specifically for concrete and other building materials. It is also used in 3D printing, dentistry, and various industrial processes.

5. Is the hardening process reversible?

In most cases, the hardening process is irreversible. Once the liquid has hardened, it cannot be reverted back to its liquid state. However, there are some specialized materials that can undergo a reversible hardening process.