Protozoan cultures

by adjacent
Tags: cultures, protozoan
Share this thread:
adjacent
Nov7-13, 05:00 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,467
I am trying to observe protozoas under microscope but the place I live doesn't have pond waters or such types of still waters.I want to make a culture.Yes,I have tried to make it by putting dried grass,yeast,soil,leaves etc. but it seems protozoans hate this kind of waters(Nothing except bacteria is visible)

So,how do I prepare a culture suitable for the kingdom of protista?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Molecular gate that could keep cancer cells locked up
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Man 'expelled from Croatia for punching monk seal'
Borek
Nov7-13, 06:06 AM
Admin
P: 23,402
Can't you try to filter some sea water?

I am surprised that you don't see anything is the cultures made from fresh water and grass, these are rather sure way of getting results. How long have you waited?

Edit:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=690476
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=693874
adjacent
Nov7-13, 06:26 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,467
I see.The water I used was drinking water.It contains some chloride and magnesium ions.Maybe thats the problem.Is it okay to boil the water,will chloride and magnesium ions go away?

Furthermore,I am very curious to know how there microorganisms suddenly come from no where(to the water)

Borek
Nov7-13, 08:08 AM
Admin
P: 23,402
Protozoan cultures

Chlorides and magnesium should be not a problem, however, drinking water can contain chlorine used as disinfectant. But yes, boiling it before use should help (actually it is part of most recipes for cultures I have seen).

Organisms don't come from nowhere - spores and cysts are present everywhere, in the air, on the grass surface and so on. And they are quite resistant, they can sit for years waiting for a correct conditions.

Register to reply