Fluid mechanics navier stokes flow around geometry

by joshmccraney
Tags: flow, fluid, geometry, mechanics, navier, stokes
Share this thread:
joshmccraney
Nov8-13, 12:03 PM
P: 346
hey pf!

i am studying fluid mechanics and was wondering if any of you are familiar with a flow around some geometry? for example, perhaps a 2-D fluid flowing around a circle?

if so please reply, as i am wondering how to model the navier-stokes equations. i'll be happy to post the equations and my thoughts if you would like me to?

for the record, i am using white's book, and while it is great, i have not seen any examples dealing with 2-D flow around geometry. so far it's been flow in between plates and against a wall.

thanks so much for your support and interset!

josh
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Future phones to use blood and speech to monitor HIV, stress, nutrition
Neuron circuit may enable pitch perception applications
Quasi-distributed temperature sensors from draw-tower fabrication technology
njoysci
Nov10-13, 09:08 AM
P: 14
Take a look at this site:

http://www.math.nyu.edu/faculty/childres/chpseven.PDF
boneh3ad
Nov10-13, 02:13 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,500
The problem is that in general you can't find a solution to the Navier-Stokes equations analytically, especially external flows. There are some that are possible, like laminar flow over a flat plate (the Blasius solution), but these are relatively few and far between.

Except at very low Reynolds number, the 2-D flow around a circle (or cylinder, for example) is one such flow where an analytical solution is not possible for a viscous flow. You have to deal with flow separation and an unsteady wake (for example, try Googling von Kármán vortex street).

joshmccraney
Nov10-13, 04:40 PM
P: 346
Fluid mechanics navier stokes flow around geometry

thanks you guys! hey bonehead, what do we consider "very low Re number"? would it be possible to model, say, syrup sliding over a plate with a slight angle as a low reynolds number, or is this too fast?
boneh3ad
Nov10-13, 05:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,500
That depends on the context. With a cylinder in a viscous flow, very low Reynolds number in regards to whether Stokes flow is valid is typically considered to be [itex]Re \ll 1[/itex]. It doesn't really make sense to just ask what constitutes very low Reynolds number in a random situation since you aren't really specifying in that case what physical phenomenon you are hoping to capture or avoid. For example, in Stokes flow, very low Reynolds number represents the region where the assumptions used in deriving it are valid.

Register to reply