What's the Best Open Source OS for GUI Lovers?

In summary, there are a variety of GUI options available, but each has its own benefits and drawbacks.
vatzis
Any favorites guys? And have you developed any source code personally?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't have a favorite GUI - though I currently use Gnome 3 standard I have been known to radically customize in the past.
When I want to do serious work I just use a plain CLI.

Did you have a particular requirement?
What do you want to know for?

Preferences tend to be personal - if slightly - when soliciting personal information it is good politics to supply some yourself as well.

Open source OS brings to mind Linux and all its flavors:
- Ubuntu, Red Hat...
- Android...

Wikipedia has a list of Open Source OSes for comparison:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_operating_systems

Personally I write in Java using Swing as the GUI of choice as it can be ported easily between Linux, MacOSX and Windows. The development tool I use is Netbeans IDE, a common tool used within our group. Other groups use Eclipse IDE.

Oh yes ... and for GUIs too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_platform-independent_GUI_libraries

Then there is the obligatory "open source" is not the same as "free/libre software"
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
... so it really depends on what is important to the user.

When we use computer models it is, in principle, a good idea for the entire software stack to be open to inspection ... just in case there is any suspicion that the modeled results could be from an artifact from somewhere in the computation process.

Not so sure how the GUI is important for that - perhaps that it should allow the kind of access that makes the nuts-and-bolts apparent? Most GUIs are designed to hide a lot of the processes. But iirc pretty much every free-software GUI includes some sort of terminal emulation. Certainly every one that implements GNU.

Last edited:
I really liked Gnome 2, but I did not care for the attempt to re-make Gnome 2 as Mate. I don't really like Gnome 3. When Gnome 3 came out, I switched to XFCE.

However, XFCE felt kinda like a step backwards. So I tried Unity, and I liked it for a while, but I'm not a fan of some recent changes. Right now I'm using KDE 4.10 (or 4.11? I forget), and it is pretty slick. I installed a Unity-like launcher as well. I also installed XFCE's terminal emulator, because I don't like Konsole.

I wouldn't say any of these things are "best". What is "best" for you depends on how you like to use your computer, really. The nice thing about Open Source is that you can try them all and decide what you like, or even mix and match pieces like I did.

1. What is a GUI in an open source operating system?

A GUI, or graphical user interface, is the visual platform that allows users to interact with an operating system through icons, windows, and menus. In an open source OS, the GUI is typically customizable and can be modified by the user or community.

2. What makes an open source OS's GUI the best?

An open source OS's GUI is considered the best when it offers a user-friendly and intuitive interface, and also allows for customization and personalization. Additionally, a strong community and regular updates contribute to a high-quality GUI in an open source OS.

3. Can I use third-party software with an open source OS's GUI?

Yes, one of the benefits of an open source OS is that it allows for third-party software integration. As long as the software is compatible with the OS and follows its terms and conditions, it can be used with the GUI.

4. Is there a learning curve for using an open source OS's GUI?

Like any new operating system, there may be a learning curve when using an open source OS's GUI. However, many open source OS's offer extensive documentation and user-friendly interfaces, making the learning process easier for new users.

5. How is an open source OS's GUI different from a proprietary OS's GUI?

An open source OS's GUI is typically more customizable and allows for a greater level of user control compared to a proprietary OS's GUI, which is often more limited and closed-source. Additionally, an open source OS's GUI is usually free to use, while a proprietary OS's GUI may require a license or purchase.