What's the Difference Between GMT and TPL Fuses and What Do They Stand For?

• Thread starter Jyan
  • Start date
In summary, GMT and TPL are part numbers used by Bussmann for fuses. They are not acronyms and stand for "grasshoppers made for telecommunication" and "time delay power fuse link" respectively. They are part of a larger nomenclature system used by Bussmann. Using Google to search for definitions of these fuses may lead to forum posts where others have provided explanations.
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is this really nifty thing out there called "Google Search". You should learn to use it.

Just Google for "define GMT fuse" and "define TPL fuse"

I put this post here because I was unable to find a definition with Google. I found nothing that expanded the acronym. Moreover, a large amount of answers found on the magical-super-nifty-awesome Google search comes from answers to forum posts. If no one posted answers on forums, there wouldn't be very many answers to be found with Google.

In fact, one of the first things that comes up when searching "define GMT fuse" (I did the search from my phone, which I had not previously used to look at this post) is this forum post. So, a constructive answer to this question will hopefully help other people searching for similar answers.

I was able to find the definition of GMT: grasshoppers made for telecommunication. But I still was not able to find anything about what that actually means.

Hm... I got numerous immediate results on each that listed what the acronyms stand for. I didn't bother to read the articles, just assumed that they explained things.

Maybe phones get different results.

These are not acronyms, they are Bussmann part nomenclature. Go to Bussmann website to check them out. There are lots of others: TPA, TPS, TPC etc.

Likes 1 person
So they are just part part numbers then. Thanks

1. What are GMT and TPL fuses?

GMT and TPL fuses are types of circuit protection devices that are commonly used in electronic systems. They are designed to protect the circuit from overcurrent and short circuit conditions.

2. What is the difference between GMT and TPL fuses?

The main difference between GMT and TPL fuses is their physical size and current rating. GMT fuses are smaller and have a lower current rating compared to TPL fuses. Additionally, GMT fuses are typically used in low voltage applications, while TPL fuses are used in high voltage applications.

3. How do GMT and TPL fuses work?

GMT and TPL fuses work by interrupting the flow of electrical current when an overcurrent or short circuit condition occurs. This is achieved through a metal strip inside the fuse that melts when exposed to excessive current, breaking the circuit and preventing damage to the system.

4. What are the benefits of using GMT and TPL fuses?

The main benefit of using GMT and TPL fuses is their ability to protect electronic systems from overcurrent and short circuit conditions. This helps prevent damage to the circuit and ensures the safety of the system and its components. Additionally, these fuses are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace, making them a cost-effective solution for circuit protection.

5. How do I select the right GMT or TPL fuse for my application?

The selection of the right GMT or TPL fuse will depend on several factors including the maximum current rating of the circuit, the voltage level, and the type of protection required. It is important to consult the manufacturer's datasheet and consider the specific requirements of your application to choose the appropriate fuse. It is also recommended to seek the advice of a qualified electrician or engineer for proper fuse selection.