Using a transistor as a (relatively) high speed switch

by VinnyCee
Tags: fast, speed, switch, switching transistor, transistor
VinnyCee
Nov14-13, 09:32 AM
P: 492
So I'd like to pulse a current to a load from a transistor. I can use a -controller to trigger a transistor. The only has a minimum pulse length of about 100ns or greater. But I would like to have the current flow through the transistor for a much shorter pulse length than 100ns. Maybe a pulse length of 5ns or even 10ns would do.

1) What is the best way to do this type of fast switching? Should I have the current always flowing through the transistor and then turn it off for the short pulse length, or have the current off normally and have the transistor control when it flows (for 5ns or 10ns)?

2) What options do I have regarding specific model numbers?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
berkeman
Nov14-13, 11:24 AM
Mentor
P: 39,643
Quote Quote by VinnyCee View Post
So I'd like to pulse a current to a load from a transistor. I can use a -controller to trigger a transistor. The only has a minimum pulse length of about 100ns or greater. But I would like to have the current flow through the transistor for a much shorter pulse length than 100ns. Maybe a pulse length of 5ns or even 10ns would do.

1) What is the best way to do this type of fast switching? Should I have the current always flowing through the transistor and then turn it off for the short pulse length, or have the current off normally and have the transistor control when it flows (for 5ns or 10ns)?

2) What options do I have regarding specific model numbers?
What is the application? Getting that kind of large-signal switching speed out of discrete transistors is non-trivial. Can you just use a fast logic gate instead to source/sink the current?
VinnyCee
Nov14-13, 12:23 PM
I need a low cost method of switching, and the transistor is the lowest cost device I think. A logic gate would be a lot more expensive right?

I am charging a capacitor and then using the switch to dissipate the charge from the capacitor into another, unknown, resistance and capacitance. And measuring the voltage before and after.

The 5ns pulse would be ideal, but a 100ns or less pulse would also work I suppose.

berkeman
Nov14-13, 01:08 PM
Mentor
P: 39,643

Using a transistor as a (relatively) high speed switch

Quote Quote by VinnyCee View Post
I need a low cost method of switching, and the transistor is the lowest cost device I think. A logic gate would be a lot more expensive right?

I am charging a capacitor and then using the switch to dissipate the charge from the capacitor into another, unknown, resistance and capacitance. And measuring the voltage before and after.

The 5ns pulse would be ideal, but a 100ns or less pulse would also work I suppose.
It sounds like you need an analog switch function. Why so fast?
VinnyCee
Nov14-13, 01:18 PM
Clarification:

I am really looking for a part, in production, that can respond to the input pulse consistently. I've seen some datasheets (for example, this one) list the turn on time as 9ns typical to 12ns maximum and a turn off time as 13ns typical to 18ns maximum. I would want the difference between these typical and maximum values to be as little as possible.

Also, what is the "storage time" listed in that datasheet?

The -controller that will be sending the control pulse to the switch (i.e. ~ this transistor) will have a 100ns minimum pulse length currently, but that may change. Repeatable because there will be 8 of these in parallel, each doing multiple measurements every 100s or less.

I just need a low cost option for repeatable switching using a transistor instead of an actual, packaged switch.

I think what I'm seeking is actually a Voltage Controlled Resistor. This is commonly made with a JFET, right?
Jony130
Nov14-13, 02:45 PM
P: 389
Try read this
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...28#post3763728

Register to reply