Register to reply

Future of Electrical Engineers

by Naeem
Tags: electrical, engineers, future
Share this thread:
Naeem
Apr19-05, 10:49 PM
P: 196
Q. What do most Electrical Engineers do typically in the real world? i.e what kinds of jobs do they hold?

What kind of jobs can EE major's do with a bachelor's degree?

Do they deal with circuits all the time in their careers?

Answers, ideas or criticisms appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
cronxeh
Apr19-05, 11:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
A bachelors degree in Engineering is considered a professional degree (as long as its accredited by ABET - more info on www.abet.org if your program and school is accredited). Normally EE's deal with radioelectronics, particularly anywhere electricity and magnetism is involved. The future outlook is very good, as you can imagine all the computers are designed by EE's and CompEs. Analyzing circuits is an integral part of an EE, and yes, you'll be doing it for most of your career
so-crates
Apr20-05, 12:08 AM
P: 309
Most EE's and CompE's I knew don't do EE. The same is true for alot of engineering professions though. Granted I went to only decent state school.

kdinser
Apr20-05, 04:15 AM
P: 338
Future of Electrical Engineers

Out of the 9 engineers that I am acquainted with, 2 are actually working as engineers. 1 EE who works extensively with AutoCAD and is involved with circuit design, the other is a ME, again extensive use of AutoCAD. The others have desk jobs and are basically paper pushers in large companies.
System Engineer
Apr20-05, 07:30 AM
P: 7
Hello, I dont know about others but I am an EE, have BE(EE), MS(Telecom), SEMC(WE) and a considerable experience of working for some years n i hate to say it but i agree engineers genrally r paper pushers but then these papers are really importnat like designs, improvements etc. But for practical purposes u have to be working in the field and not on a desk to get a real taste of the EE.

Regards
Ess ESS
Mika-Yugo
Apr20-05, 08:58 PM
P: 23
come on guys don't scare me. i am just going to start EE this comming September, 2005. should i switch to ..........? Thank you, Mika
so-crates
Apr20-05, 10:07 PM
P: 309
No major is going to guarantee you a well-paying job that you enjoy every second. You should do what you interests you and not what will give you a that "comfortable" lifestyle.
Andromeda321
Apr21-05, 10:07 AM
P: 153
My dad's an EE and after grad school he went off to work for General Electric in Schenectady NY (don't quite remember doing what). Then he started teaching at Union as a prof then at Carnegie-Mellon. A few years after CMU he started his own company that designs software for EE people (such as "Maxwell" if anyone's curious) and left teaching to go do that. Now that's probably a much wider range than most people accomplish, but it's a pretty good look at some things EEs are known to do.

Register to reply