MCNP planar source (rectangular)

In summary, MCNP planar source (rectangular) is a computational software used in nuclear engineering to simulate particle and radiation transport through materials. It uses Monte Carlo methods and has a user-friendly interface, making it useful for accurate and detailed simulations. While designed for rectangular sources, it can be used for other types with modifications. It is widely used and respected in the scientific community for various applications.
damyoro
Hello to everybody,

I need some explanation on how to use SDEF variables to define correctly a planar rectangular source. Let say this source is emitting in all direction but I am interested in a side of the source surface where a point detector is located. I used in my example VEC (VEC =001) but not DIR.
How to take into account the fact that in analog simulation the source is emitting equally to the opposite surface plane.
I would like also to understand the cosine distribution mentioned in the primer for a surface source where it is written p(μ) = 2μ for μ [0,1]. That is means that p(μ) can the value 2 when μ=1. Is it not a probability? Which is supposed to be less than 1.
Here is my example:
SDEF SUR= 51 POS 0 0 0 X=0 Y=d1 Z=d2 PAR=2 ERG 1.25 VEC 1 0 0 $ Plane rectangular source
SI1 -45 45
SP1 0 1
SI2 -70 70

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
for your help.

Thank you for your question regarding the use of SDEF variables to define a planar rectangular source. The VEC (VEC=001) variable is used to specify the direction of the source particles, while the DIR variable is used to specify the direction of the source surface. In your example, it appears that you have only used the VEC variable, which means that the source particles will be emitted in the direction (1,0,0) from the origin (0,0,0). To take into account the fact that the source is emitting equally to the opposite surface plane, you can use the DIR variable to specify the direction of the source surface. For example, if your source surface is facing in the positive x-direction, you can use DIR 1 0 0 to indicate this. This will ensure that the source particles are emitted equally in both directions along the x-axis.

Regarding the cosine distribution mentioned in the primer, p(μ) = 2μ for μ [0,1], this is a probability distribution function that describes the angular distribution of the emitted particles. The value of p(μ) can be 2 when μ=1 because this is the maximum value of the distribution, meaning that the particles are most likely to be emitted in that direction. This does not violate the concept of probability, as the total probability for all directions is still equal to 1. The cosine distribution is commonly used to describe the emission of particles from a surface source because it takes into account the cosine of the angle between the emitted particles and the normal vector to the source surface, which affects the probability of emission.

In your example, the SI1 and SI2 variables specify the angular range in which the particles can be emitted from the source. The SP1 variable specifies the probability of emission for particles within that angular range. In this case, particles will be emitted from -45 to 45 degrees with a probability of 1, and from -70 to 70 degrees with a probability of 0. This means that particles will only be emitted within the range of -45 to 45 degrees.

I hope this helps to clarify the use of SDEF variables for defining a planar rectangular source. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

What is MCNP planar source (rectangular)?

MCNP planar source (rectangular) is a type of computational software used in the field of nuclear engineering to simulate the transport of particles and radiation through materials. It is specifically designed to model sources that are rectangular in shape.

How does MCNP planar source work?

MCNP planar source uses Monte Carlo methods to simulate the behavior of particles and radiation. This involves creating a large number of random particle histories and tracking their interactions with the materials in the model. The results are then statistically analyzed to determine the overall behavior of the system.

What are the advantages of using MCNP planar source?

MCNP planar source allows for highly accurate and detailed simulations of particle transport, making it a valuable tool for understanding and optimizing nuclear systems. It also has a user-friendly interface and can handle complex geometries and materials.

Can MCNP planar source be used for other types of sources?

While MCNP planar source is specifically designed for rectangular sources, it can also be used to model other types of sources such as cylindrical or spherical. However, some modifications may be necessary to accurately represent the geometry of the source.

Is MCNP planar source widely used in the scientific community?

Yes, MCNP planar source is a widely used and well-respected software in the scientific community. It has been used in various research and industrial applications, including nuclear reactor design, medical imaging, and radiation shielding design.