IB Physics Help: Solving for Magnetic Field in TV Picture Tube

• Thread starter shikagami
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a student struggling with their IB Physics class and needing help with a problem involving a TV picture tube. The problem requires finding the magnitude of a magnetic field using equations involving voltage, velocity, and radius. The expert provides the correct equation and solution, which is 1.13 Tesla.
shikagami
I am really trying hard to pass my IB Physics class, but the homework is just too hard. Please help me with this problem.

In a TV picture tube, an electron in the beam is accelerated by a potential difference of 20,000 V. Then it passes through a region of transverse magnetic field, where it moves in a circular arc with radius 0.12 m. What is the magnitude of the field?

I am not quite sure how to do this, but this is my approach... First... I used V= U/q to find the velocity of the electrons. Then I used r= (mv)/(Bq) to solve for the magnetic field. And I got 3.98 E-3 Tesla.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this correct? No, that is not correct. You are using the wrong equation. The equation you need to use is v = (Bqr)/m. Using that equation, you should get B = (mv)/(qr) = (9.109e-31 * 2.07e7) / (1.602e-19 * 0.12) = 1.13 Tesla.

Is this correct?

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on your efforts to pass your IB Physics class. It shows determination and a strong work ethic, which are essential for success in any subject.

Now, let's take a look at the problem you have mentioned. Your approach seems to be on the right track. Here's a step-by-step explanation of how to solve for the magnetic field in this scenario:

Step 1: Use the given potential difference (V) and the charge of an electron (q) to find the kinetic energy (K) of the electron using the formula K = qV.

Step 2: Use the kinetic energy (K) and the mass of an electron (m) to find the velocity (v) of the electron using the formula K = 0.5mv^2.

Step 3: Use the given radius of the circular arc (r), the velocity (v) calculated in step 2, and the charge of an electron (q) to find the magnetic field (B) using the formula r = (mv)/(Bq).

Step 4: Plug in the values calculated in steps 1-3 to find the magnetic field (B).

Using this method, I also got a magnetic field of 3.98 E-3 Tesla, so your answer seems to be correct. However, it's always a good idea to double-check your calculations to make sure there are no mistakes.

I hope this helps you with your homework and improves your understanding of the topic. Keep up the hard work and don't hesitate to seek help when needed. Good luck with your IB Physics class!

1. What kind of problem are you experiencing?

It is important to provide specific details about the problem you are facing in order for someone to accurately help you. This could include any error messages, symptoms, or steps that led to the problem.

2. What have you tried so far to solve the problem?

It is helpful to mention any steps or solutions you have attempted in order to avoid receiving the same suggestions from others. This can also give someone an idea of where to start in helping you.

3. Can you provide any relevant information or data?

If the problem involves data or specific information, it is important to provide it in order for someone to analyze the problem effectively. This could include screenshots, log files, or any other relevant data.

4. Have you checked for any updates or solutions online?

Before asking for help, it is always a good idea to do some research online to see if others have encountered the same problem and if there are any solutions available. This can save time and provide potential solutions.

5. Can you provide any context or background information?

In order for someone to fully understand the problem, it can be helpful to provide some context or background information. This could include the system or software being used, any recent changes, or any other relevant details.