Graphing Quadratic Functions: How to Find Critical Points and Inflection Points

• Thread starter MAC5494
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary: Yeah I know. I said above that it should be even. However when I actually did it, I used the wrong function, which was the function I for some reason didn't foil. I appreciate everyone's...
MAC5494

Homework Statement

I've been looking at the problem for a while and I just can't figure it out. It is graph sketching.

[STRIKE]y=x2(x2-4)2[/STRIKE]
the correct equation is this:
y=x2(x-4)2

Homework Equations

Solve for critical points, and inflection points in order to get points needed to graph function.

The Attempt at a Solution

[STRIKE]y=x2(x-4)2[/STRIKE]
y=x2(x2-4)2
y=x4-8x3+16x2

y'=4x3-24x2+32x
0=4x(x-4)(x-2)
x=0,2,4

local min: 0,4
local max: 2

y"=12x2-48x+32

I don't know what to do to solve for the inflection points.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MAC5494 said:
I don't know what to do to solve for the inflection points.
Well, inflection points can be arrived at by solving f "(x)=0 and finding values of x and substituting them again in the given equation.
That should give you all inflection points of that function.

vhbelvadi said:
Well, inflection points can be arrived at by solving f "(x)=0 and finding values of x and substituting them again in the given equation.
That should give you all inflection points of that function.

Yeah I'm aware of that, and I've tried, but I can't figure out how to solve for x.

MAC5494 said:
Yeah I'm aware of that, and I've tried, but I can't figure out how to solve for x.

Are you asking us how you might solve ##12x^2 - 48x + 32 = 0##?

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Are you asking us how you might solve ##12x^2 - 48x + 32 = 0##?

Yes, or at least some pointers in the right direction. I'd like to try to do it myself if possible.

MAC5494 said:
Yes, or at least some pointers in the right direction. I'd like to try to do it myself if possible.

Have you seen the quadratic formula before?

In relation to sketching the original curve, it might save you some time to note whether or not the function is odd or even.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Have you seen the quadratic formula before?

In relation to sketching the original curve, it might save you some time to note whether or not the function is odd or even.

Yes! I didn't even think about that! Thank you for your help! It should be an even function just by looking at the formula. How do you figure out algebraically if it is even or odd?

MAC5494 said:
Yes! I didn't even think about that! Thank you for your help! It should be an even function just by looking at the formula. How do you figure out algebraically if it is even or odd?

In general, a function ##f(x)## is odd if ##f(-x) = -f(x)##, and even if ##f(-x) = f(x)##. (You can also decompose a function into an even part and an odd part, but that's irrelevant here.)

What happens when you replace ##x## with ##-x## in your function?

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
In general, a function ##f(x)## is odd if ##f(-x) = -f(x)##, and even if ##f(-x) = f(x)##. (You can also decompose a function into an even part and an odd part, but that's irrelevant here.)

What happens when you replace ##x## with ##-x## in your function?

f(x) = x4-8x3+16x2

f(-x) = (-x)4 -8(-x)3+16(x)2

= x4 + 8x3 + 16x2

So I was wrong. It's actually neither even or odd.

From the OP:
y = x[itex]^{2}[/itex](x[itex]^{2}[/itex]-4)[itex]^{2}[/itex]
y = x[itex]^{4}[/itex]-8x[itex]^{3}[/itex]+16x[itex]^{2}[/itex]

You need to work on your basic algebra skills: the first equation does not lead to the second.

y = x[itex]^{2}[/itex](x[itex]^{4}[/itex]-8x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+16)
y = (x[itex]^{6}[/itex]-8x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+16x[itex]^{2}[/itex])

SteamKing said:
From the OP:
y = x[itex]^{4}[/itex]-8x[itex]^{3}[/itex]+16x[itex]^{2}[/itex]

You need to work on your basic algebra skills: the first equation does not lead to the second.

y = x[itex]^{2}[/itex](x[itex]^{4}[/itex]-8x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+16)
y = (x[itex]^{6}[/itex]-8x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+16x[itex]^{2}[/itex])

Oh god. Well there's my issue. I forgot to foil. Thanks for your help. I don't think I'll have an issue with this problem anymore. That's embarrassing.

MAC5494 said:
f(x) = x4-8x3+16x2

f(-x) = (-x)4 -8(-x)3+16(x)2

= x4 + 8x3 + 16x2

So I was wrong. It's actually neither even or odd.

The function is even; x^2 is even and x^2 - 4 is even, so x^2 * (x^2-4)^2 is even. No work needed!

Ray Vickson said:
The function is even; x^2 is even and x^2 - 4 is even, so x^2 * (x^2-4)^2 is even. No work needed!

I forgot to foil so I came out with the wrong function.

MAC5494 said:
I forgot to foil so I came out with the wrong function.

Yes, but you can tell that the function is even without any expansion, since you have a product of two even functions.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Yes, but you can tell that the function is even without any expansion, since you have a product of two even functions.

Yeah I know. I said above that it should be even. However when I actually did it, I used the wrong function, which was the function I for some reason didn't foil. I appreciate everyone's help.

This is going to sound funny, but I typed in the function above wrong. I didn't sleep much last night as you can probably tell.

y=x2(x2-4)2

It is supposed to be y=x2(x-4)2

So I have the same problem. I'll try doing the quadratic formula to see what I get.

1. What is a graph sketching problem?

A graph sketching problem is a mathematical problem that involves creating a visual representation of a function on a coordinate plane. This can include determining the shape, direction, and key points of the graph.

2. What are the key steps in solving a graph sketching problem?

The key steps in solving a graph sketching problem include identifying the function, finding the domain and range, determining the behavior at the intercepts and asymptotes, identifying the intervals of increase and decrease, and plotting key points to sketch the graph.

3. How do I determine the behavior of a graph at the intercepts and asymptotes?

The behavior at the intercepts and asymptotes can be determined by evaluating the function at those points. If the function approaches a specific value as x approaches a certain number, then there is a horizontal asymptote. If the function has a vertical asymptote, it means that the value of the function approaches infinity as x approaches a certain number.

4. Why is it important to determine the intervals of increase and decrease in a graph sketching problem?

Determining the intervals of increase and decrease helps to understand the overall behavior of the graph. It shows where the graph is increasing or decreasing and can help identify any local maxima or minima points.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a graph sketching problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a graph sketching problem include forgetting to check for asymptotes, incorrectly identifying the intervals of increase and decrease, and not considering the domain and range of the function. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure that the graph accurately represents the given function.