Register to reply

Force caused by a bullet in a bone

by danielamartins
Tags: bone, bullet, caused, force
Share this thread:
danielamartins
Nov26-13, 01:19 PM
P: 9
Is it possible to calculate the force caused by a bullet in a bone, knowing the velocity of the bullet when fired, its weight, and the bone's thickness?
If so, could you explain it a bit?
I need to create a sort of exercise, so I wanted to do something involving a bullet and a body. Therefore, I could add some details/info if necessary...
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Nugatory
Nov26-13, 02:05 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,755
Quote Quote by danielamartins View Post
Is it possible to calculate the force caused by a bullet in a bone, knowing the velocity of the bullet when fired, its weight, and the bone's thickness?
If so, could you explain it a bit?
I need to create a sort of exercise, so I wanted to do something involving a bullet and a body. Therefore, I could add some details/info if necessary...
An easy model that will get results that are order-of-magnitude sensible is to assume that the bullet decelerates at a constant rate until it either comes to a stop or exits the other side at a slower speed.

Now the thickness of the bone gives you the distance traveled, the initial speed and assumption of constant deceleration gives you the average speed that distance is traversed, from that you get the time of passage and the deceleration. Now the mass of the bullet and ##F=ma## will see you home.

No doubt the forensic pathologists have waaaay more sophisticated models.... But not necessarily the case that a more sophisticated and accurate model will produce any more insights.
danielamartins
Nov26-13, 03:20 PM
Thanks, but how can I calculate the acceleration?

Nugatory
Nov26-13, 03:49 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,755
Force caused by a bullet in a bone

Quote Quote by danielamartins View Post
Thanks, but how can I calculate the acceleration?
You know the change in velocity and you can calculate the time over which that change happens. For example, if a projectile moving at 20 m/sec is brought to a stop over a distance of 1 meter...

Its average speed through that meter is 10 m/sec (average of 20 and 0, assuming constant deceleration) so it take .1 sec to cover that one meter. Because the speed goes from 20 m/sec to 0 m/sec in that .1 sec, so the deceleration is 200 m/sec2.
danielamartins
Nov26-13, 04:13 PM
Oh thanks! I was making it more difficult than it actually is. I'll try to do all the calculations and then, I'll post them here. If u could take a look I would appreciate it ;)

Register to reply