Register to reply

How do I determine if a plane is even with respect to an axis?

by ainster31
Tags: axis, determine, plane, respect
Share this thread:
ainster31
Dec3-13, 04:12 PM
P: 154
I know that the plane ##z=4-y## is even with respect to the x-axis and is not even with respect to the y-axis and z-axis from graphing the plane.

How would I algebraically determine this?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
SteamKing
Dec3-13, 05:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,258
What do you mean by 'even w.r.t. an axis'?
Mark44
Dec3-13, 05:28 PM
Mentor
P: 21,216
Quote Quote by ainster31 View Post
I know that the plane ##z=4-y## is even with respect to the x-axis and is not even with respect to the y-axis and z-axis from graphing the plane.

How would I algebraically determine this?
By "even" do you mean "symmetric"?

Assuming that's what you mean, then if the points (x, y, z) and (-x, y, z) are both on a given surface, then the surface has symmetry across the y-z plane. Each point is directly across the y-z plane from the other. Similarly, if the points (x, y, z) and (x, -y, z) are both on a surface, then the surface has symmetry with respect to the x-z plane.

Symmetry about an axis is different, because we're not talking mirror images any more. If the points (x, y, z) and (-x, -y, z) are both on a surface, then the surface is symmetric about the z-axis. I'll let you figure out what it means for a surface to have symmetry about the other two axes.

ainster31
Dec3-13, 05:31 PM
P: 154
How do I determine if a plane is even with respect to an axis?

Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
What do you mean by 'even w.r.t. an axis'?
http://i.imgur.com/Y9PfN4b.png

The volume under the plane from both sides of the x-axis is the same but this is not the case for the y-axis and z-axis.
Mark44
Dec3-13, 06:21 PM
Mentor
P: 21,216
Quote Quote by ainster31 View Post
http://i.imgur.com/Y9PfN4b.png

The volume under the plane from both sides of the x-axis is the same but this is not the case for the y-axis and z-axis.
You are not describing the image correctly. The solid is symmetric across the y-z plane. I described this in my previous post.

Register to reply