How do I determine if a plane is even with respect to an axis?

by ainster31
Tags: axis, determine, plane, respect
ainster31
Dec3-13, 04:12 PM
P: 154
I know that the plane ##z=4-y## is even with respect to the x-axis and is not even with respect to the y-axis and z-axis from graphing the plane.

How would I algebraically determine this?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
SteamKing
Dec3-13, 05:21 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,554
What do you mean by 'even w.r.t. an axis'?
Mark44
Dec3-13, 05:28 PM
Mentor
P: 21,032
Quote Quote by ainster31 View Post
I know that the plane ##z=4-y## is even with respect to the x-axis and is not even with respect to the y-axis and z-axis from graphing the plane.

How would I algebraically determine this?
By "even" do you mean "symmetric"?

Assuming that's what you mean, then if the points (x, y, z) and (-x, y, z) are both on a given surface, then the surface has symmetry across the y-z plane. Each point is directly across the y-z plane from the other. Similarly, if the points (x, y, z) and (x, -y, z) are both on a surface, then the surface has symmetry with respect to the x-z plane.

Symmetry about an axis is different, because we're not talking mirror images any more. If the points (x, y, z) and (-x, -y, z) are both on a surface, then the surface is symmetric about the z-axis. I'll let you figure out what it means for a surface to have symmetry about the other two axes.

ainster31
Dec3-13, 05:31 PM
P: 154

How do I determine if a plane is even with respect to an axis?

Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
What do you mean by 'even w.r.t. an axis'?
http://i.imgur.com/Y9PfN4b.png

The volume under the plane from both sides of the x-axis is the same but this is not the case for the y-axis and z-axis.
Mark44
Dec3-13, 06:21 PM
Mentor
P: 21,032
Quote Quote by ainster31 View Post
http://i.imgur.com/Y9PfN4b.png

The volume under the plane from both sides of the x-axis is the same but this is not the case for the y-axis and z-axis.
You are not describing the image correctly. The solid is symmetric across the y-z plane. I described this in my previous post.

Register to reply