What is the Wittig reaction mechanism?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanism of the Wittig reaction and the confusion around it. The answer to the question is B, but the person is unsure how to arrive at that answer. They also mention their understanding of the general mechanism and the usefulness of the Wittig reagent. The conversation takes place in a school setting.
n.a.s.h
Can anyone please walk me through the mechanism as this question does not make sense to me. I do have some understanding of the general mechanism. The answer is B) but I don't understand how to get there.

The confusing aspect to me, is the structure of the ylide.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 465
Chemistry news on Phys.org
How do you know the answer is B? Is that your guess or did you just get the answer from someone/somewhere? Why wouldn't it be D, for example?

You say you know how the Wittig reaction works, can you go through the mechanism with these particular reagents? Maybe we should start out with this: what is the first step of the mechanism? What makes the Wittig reagent so useful?

Also this belongs in the HW section because it's clearly some type of School type question.

1. What is the Wittig reaction mechanism?

The Wittig reaction mechanism is a chemical process that involves the conversion of a carbonyl compound (aldehyde or ketone) into an alkene using a phosphorus ylide as the reagent. This reaction is named after its discoverer, German chemist Georg Wittig, and is widely used in organic synthesis to create carbon-carbon double bonds.

2. What is a ylide in the Wittig reaction?

A ylide is a neutral molecule with a positive and negative charge on adjacent atoms, typically a phosphorus atom and a carbon atom. In the Wittig reaction, the ylide acts as the nucleophile and attacks the carbonyl carbon, leading to the formation of a new carbon-carbon double bond.

3. What is the role of the base in the Wittig reaction mechanism?

The base, usually a strong base such as potassium tert-butoxide, is used to deprotonate the phosphorus ylide, making it more nucleophilic and reactive towards the carbonyl compound. The base also helps to remove the proton from the newly formed alkene, making the reaction thermodynamically favored.

4. What are the byproducts of the Wittig reaction?

The main byproduct of the Wittig reaction is triphenylphosphine oxide, which is formed when the phosphorus ylide reacts with oxygen. Other minor byproducts may include phosphine sulfides and sulfones, depending on the reaction conditions and starting materials used.

5. What factors influence the selectivity of the Wittig reaction?

The selectivity of the Wittig reaction can be influenced by several factors, including the reactivity of the carbonyl compound, the steric hindrance of the reactants, and the choice of the phosphorus ylide. The reaction conditions, such as temperature and solvent, can also affect the selectivity of the reaction.