bright light due south/west

by willis hallis
Tags: bright, light, south or west
willis hallis
Dec10-13, 12:35 PM
P: 7
at about 45 degrees as view from south western france , this isnt a star as it doesnt twinkle
its not a planet as it seems to be geo stationary, but is very bright and changes colours from blue / red white,, i'm sure this is just reflective light from solar panels,,,, but what is it ???
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Unique pair of supermassive black holes in an ordinary galaxy discovered
Red stars and big bulges: How black holes shape galaxies
Image: X-raying the cosmos
jedishrfu
Dec10-13, 01:04 PM
P: 2,490
Are you sure it isn't the Dog star Sirius? It would be positioned at about 30 degrees to the bottom right from the constellation Orion. It oftens sparkles with blue white/ red white colors.

Looking at about 45 degrees to the SW at say 9pm I see the constellation Aquarius but its stars don't seem as bright.

If you have a smart phone and the Distant Suns app or the StarMap Pro app then it might help you identify the mystery object. These apps use the built in GPS and display the sky in the direction your phone is facing.
Drakkith
Dec10-13, 01:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,056
Does it move in the sky over time? Or is it always in the same spot? If it's the latter, then it's not an astronomical object.

tfr000
Dec10-13, 05:51 PM
P: 116

bright light due south/west

It's Venus.
re: "geostationary"... well, planets move very slowly against the stars, so you will not see it move in one night, other than from Earth's rotation - it will rise and set.
Travis_King
Dec10-13, 05:57 PM
P: 764
Yep, it's Venus. Venus is very prominent in the SW sky, it comes to it's highest in the sky and brightest this time of year.
TumblingDice
Dec10-13, 10:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 207
Quote Quote by tfr000 View Post
It's Venus.
re: "geostationary"... well, planets move very slowly against the stars, so you will not see it move in one night, other than from Earth's rotation - it will rise and set.
I thought geostationary meant, "stays over the same coordinates", indicating perhaps, some type of communication satellite. Am I confused?
willis hallis
Dec11-13, 03:14 AM
I think I have to go with the magnitude brightness scale venus being 4.9 sirius 1.9 as it is a pretty dam bright thing
its got to be venus even thru I always thought venus was never more than a 33 degree arc from the sun , 8 pm puts the sun well below the horizon and mystery venus still at a 45 to a fairly flat horizon ?!?
russ_watters
Dec11-13, 05:38 AM
Mentor
P: 22,007
Venus's maximum elongation is about 45 degrees: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elongation_(astronomy)
tfr000
Dec11-13, 09:01 PM
P: 116
I thought geostationary meant, "stays over the same coordinates", indicating perhaps, some type of communication satellite. Am I confused?
No, you are correct. I think the original poster is seeing the object in roughly the same place at roughly the same time every night. I would bet that it sets later on.
Of course, a real, geostationary sat would stay in the same place and never move at any time of day.
willis hallis
Dec12-13, 01:21 AM
sorry this is setting !! its venus , isnt it big !
Drakkith
Dec12-13, 07:43 AM
PF Gold
P: 11,056
Quote Quote by willis hallis View Post
sorry this is setting !! its venus , isnt it big !
Nope! It only looks big because of how bright it is. Jupiter has a much larger apparent size but appears smaller when viewed without magnification because it is dimmer than Venus at the moment.

Register to reply