Register to reply

Number of combinations with limited repetition

Share this thread:
EmileMaras
Dec12-13, 06:00 AM
P: 2
Hello

I have the following combinatoric problem :
I want to distribute n (equivalent) atoms among M distinct objects. Each object can contain from 0 to nlim atoms. How many combination do I have for this system?

If nlim>n, this problem actually corresponds to the classical "Number of combinations with repetition". But in my case nlim<n. In fact, I am interested in the limit of (lnΩ)/n (Ω beeing the number of combination) when M and n tend toward infinity (with n=a M where a is a constant) while nlim is finite (and actually rather small)..

I found a solution for that problem using some series of summations but it will be impossible to caculate as soon as M and n become large (even for M=100, n=300 and nmax=10, it took my laptop more than one hour to solve it).
Is there a simple analytical solution to this problem?

Thank you for your help.

Emile Maras
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Shyan
Dec12-13, 06:37 AM
P: 859
For the first atom,there is M choices...for the second,again M choices...for the third,again M choices...and so on!
So there is always M possible choices and all that we should do is to multiply the number of choices for each of the atoms which becomes [itex] M^n [/itex]. But because the atoms are identical,we should decrease this amount by dividing it by [itex] n! [/itex].
EmileMaras
Dec12-13, 08:32 AM
P: 2
I guess that it is not the correct answer. Maybe I did not state my problem properly, so I will just give an exemple.
Let's say I have n=3 atoms and M=3 object. An object can contain at max nmax=2 atoms. Then the possible combinations are 111, 012, 021, 102, 120, 201, 210 (where xyz gives the number of atom in each object) which corresponds to 7 combinations.

Shyan
Dec12-13, 08:46 AM
P: 859
Number of combinations with limited repetition

Quote Quote by EmileMaras View Post
I guess that it is not the correct answer. Maybe I did not state my problem properly, so I will just give an exemple.
Let's say I have n=3 atoms and M=3 object. An object can contain at max nmax=2 atoms. Then the possible combinations are 111, 012, 021, 102, 120, 201, 210 (where xyz gives the number of atom in each object) which corresponds to 7 combinations.
Yeah,my answer is wrong.It even gives a non-integral value!
Anyway,Check here!

Register to reply