When does gluconeogenesis kick in during physical activity?

In summary, the regulations for gluconeogenesis are triggered by low insulin, high glucagon, and high adrenaline levels, which are also seen during physical exercise. However, gluconeogenesis is said to seldom occur during physical exertion and amino acids are only used as a last resort, despite the fact that alanine is the main substrate for gluconeogenesis. This suggests that there may be other factors delaying gluconeogenesis besides these hormones, but there is no mention of them in the course material. Ultimately, gluconeogenesis is a last-ditch effort to maintain adequate blood glucose levels for CNS activity in cases of starvation, low carbohydrate intake, or lack of glycogen.
Aymeric
Hello,

I'm a dietetics student, and my course is really unclear about gluconeogenesis regulation, and exactly WHEN it happens.

What my coursebook teaches me is that glycogenolysis is the main purveyor of energy during physical exercise, and it is triggered by LOW INSULIN, HIGH GLUCAGON and HIGH ADRENALINE, which is exactly what happens when you start working out. So far so good.

But then they tell me that gluconeogenesis is triggered by LOW INSULIN, HIGH GLUCAGON and HIGH ADRENALINE, so: exactly the same conditions as above. And yet they keep saying throughout the chapter that gluconeogenesis SELDOM occurs during physical exertion itself, and that aminoacids are used only as a last resort, even though they specified a few pages before that the main substrate for GNG is alanine (followed by lactate and glycerol).

So there HAS to exist some factor that apparently delays GNG other than the aforementionned hormones, otherwise both metabolisms would start at the same time since they respond to the same hormonal changes. Right? But there is no mention of any such thing in my course.

I'm lost! If anyone could clear that up for me, I'd be really thankful.

Biology news on Phys.org
Gluconeogensis is triggered by low blood glucose levels in tandem with increased metabolic requirements. Starvation, low carbohydrate intake, lack of glycogen are the usual precursors to gluconeogenesis. Gluconeogenesis from an evolutionary point of view is purely a last ditch effort to keep blood glucose levels high enough to support CNS activity. Ketogenic diets can trigger gluconeogenesis.

1. When does gluconeogenesis kick in during physical activity?

Gluconeogenesis, the process of creating new glucose from non-carbohydrate sources, typically kicks in during physical activity when the body's supply of glucose from dietary carbohydrates is depleted. This usually occurs after about 60-90 minutes of moderate to intense exercise.

2. What triggers gluconeogenesis during physical activity?

Gluconeogenesis is triggered by a decrease in available glucose and an increase in demand for energy during physical activity. This triggers the release of hormones such as glucagon and cortisol, which stimulate the production of glucose from non-carbohydrate sources.

3. Does gluconeogenesis only occur during exercise?

No, gluconeogenesis can also occur during periods of fasting or starvation when the body needs to maintain a steady supply of glucose for essential functions. It can also occur during prolonged periods of low carbohydrate intake, such as a ketogenic diet.

4. Can gluconeogenesis be beneficial for physical performance?

Yes, gluconeogenesis can be beneficial for physical performance by providing a steady supply of glucose to the muscles during prolonged exercise. It can also help to prevent hypoglycemia and maintain energy levels during intense physical activity.

5. Are there any negative effects of gluconeogenesis during physical activity?

In general, gluconeogenesis is a necessary process for maintaining energy levels during physical activity. However, in some cases, it can lead to the breakdown of muscle protein for energy, which can have negative effects on muscle mass and performance. This is more likely to occur in individuals who are not consuming enough carbohydrates in their diet.