Math with conditions

by Jhenrique
Tags: conditions, math
Share this thread:
Jhenrique
Dec13-13, 12:21 PM
P: 686
Given
[tex]x = \left\{\begin{matrix} y \;\;\; case\;A\\ z \;\;\; case\;B\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]
So, operate x means to operate the 2 cases of right side? For example:
[tex]\int x\;dx = \left\{\begin{matrix} \int y\;dx \;\;\; case\;A\\ \int z\;dx \;\;\; case\;B\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]
Correct?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
1MileCrash
Dec13-13, 12:37 PM
P: 1,289
Sure.
Jhenrique
Dec13-13, 01:01 PM
I don't known that it's operable. It's cool, will be very important to me in engineering!

R136a1
Dec13-13, 01:13 PM
Newcomer
P: 341
Math with conditions

Could you give a concrete example?
Mandelbroth
Dec13-13, 02:13 PM
P: 615
Quote Quote by Jhenrique View Post
Given
[tex]x = \left\{\begin{matrix} y \;\;\; case\;A\\ z \;\;\; case\;B\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]
[tex]\int x\;dx = \left\{\begin{matrix} \int y\;dx \;\;\; case\;A\\ \int z\;dx \;\;\; case\;B\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]
Correct?
Are you intending for the ##x## in your ##\mathrm{d}x## to be different?
Jhenrique
Dec13-13, 02:46 PM
x, y and z are only a representative symbol...
Number Nine
Dec13-13, 07:41 PM
P: 772
x, y and z are only a representative symbol...
The problem is that you're using x in two different places, and it's not clear whether or not you intend them to mean the same thing.
Student100
Dec13-13, 09:39 PM
P: 547
Given
Correct?

[tex]\int x\;dx = \left\{\begin{matrix} \int y\;dy \;\;\; case\;A\\ \int z\;dz\;\;\; case\;B\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

Is this what you mean?
Jhenrique
Dec14-13, 04:02 AM
Quote Quote by Student100 View Post

[tex]\int x\;dx = \left\{\begin{matrix} \int y\;dy \;\;\; case\;A\\ \int z\;dz\;\;\; case\;B\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

Is this what you mean?
operate x means to operate the 2 cases of right side?
I'm trying find... I think that it's math isn't correct, because:
[tex]H(x) = \left\{\begin{matrix} 0\;\;\; x<0\\ 1\;\;\; x=0\\ 1\;\;\; x>0\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}H(x) = \left\{\begin{matrix} \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}0\;\;\; x<0\\ \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}1\;\;\; x=0\\ \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}1\;\;\; x>0\\ \end{matrix}\right. = \left\{\begin{matrix} 0\;\;\; x<0\\ 0\;\;\; x=0\\ 0\;\;\; x>0\\ \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

is wrong, 'cause contradicts the identity d/dx H(x) = δ(x). So, this "technic" above is not useful, although it seems make sense, theoretically... In other words, I'm trying know how do to integrate and derivative, graphically and algebraically, a function with steps and impulses.

Register to reply