Why is a current induced in a conductor placed in a changing m.field ?

In summary, the Lorentz force is a force that occurs when charged particles (like electrons) interact with a magnetic field. It helps conserve energy in a system, and is a key part of electricity and magnetism being one in the same.
B4ssHunter
the title says it all , why does a changing magnetic field* or a moving conductor * induce a current ?
i know the how , i know how it works ,i know that a changing magnetic field creates a changing electric field , but i want to understand how this works on the electronic level , what is the real reason behind this induction ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up Lorentz force. It covers this.

Claude

In simple terms, the Lorentz force. Just like a free moving electron in a magnetic field feels a force, so does a conducting wire (made up of many electrons). Leading on from the Lorentz force, special relativity demands that electricity and magnetism are one in the same, just different manifestations of the same force. Also induction helps conserve energy in a system. If a static magnetic field produced currents in a stationary wire it would violate energy conservation laws.

If I may ask the 1st poster a question, (s)he said (s)he knows the answer to the how question, but not the why question.

1st: What's the difference?

2nd: If there is a difference, is the why question answerable?

I think the OP KNOWS what happens when you put a wire in a mag field, he/ she just wants a deeper descripton of what's happening on a smaller scale

i know what happens and i know how to calculate the emf produced , its just what i really want to know is why or even how that happens at the atomic levels , my textbook says that the field affects free electrons in the conductor , but how does the field affect them ?

Yes the magnetic field interacts with electrons. Any charged (positive or negative) particle interacts with magnetic fields. If we look at this from a QFT perspective the magnetic field is made up of (not sure the correct wording here) virtual photons that mediate electromagnetic force. Photon/ electron interaction is depicted by feynman diagrams. I don't think the explanation could get any deeper. You could keep asking why or how but there may not be an answer to that...

so i should basically take it as my teacher says , conductors oppose the change in magnetic field by creating their own magnetic fields . that's it right ?

The induced current creates an opposing magnetic field in a conducting loop. Like I said in my first post there are some subtle consequences of all this that will only be appreciated through further study of maxwell's equations, namely invariance, conservation of energy etc. QFT would be the next step in a deeper more fundamental understanding of this phenomenon.

Cris

1. What is a conductor?

A conductor is a material that allows the flow of electric charge, such as electrons, through it. This is typically a metal, but can also include materials like graphite or saltwater.

2. How does a changing magnetic field induce a current in a conductor?

When a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, it experiences a force called the Lorentz force. This force causes electrons in the conductor to move, creating a flow of electric charge, or current.

3. Why does the current only flow when the magnetic field is changing?

According to Faraday's law of induction, a changing magnetic field creates an electric field, which in turn induces a current in a conductor. When the magnetic field is constant, there is no change and therefore no induced current.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced current?

The magnitude of the induced current depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the rate at which the field is changing, and the properties of the conductor, such as its length, thickness, and material.

5. How is this phenomenon used in technology?

The concept of a changing magnetic field inducing a current in a conductor is the basis for many technologies, such as generators, transformers, and motors. These devices use the induced current to produce electricity, transfer energy, and create motion, respectively.