Can Magnetic Fields Purify Water for Reuse in a CO2 Scrubber?

In summary, the conversation is about using magnetic fields to purify water and make a CO2 scrubber for a school project. The ions involved are K+ and CO3-2, and the variables that need to be considered are attraction of ions and water, force of water flow, and type of magnet. However, it is not feasible to use magnetic fields for practical desalination as the forces are too weak. The use of positively and negatively charged plates also faces the same issue. Alternative methods, such as deionization, are recommended for successful water purification.
nst.john
I'm looking to make a CO2 scrubber for a school project and I was wondering if I can purify water to re-use it with magnetic fields. The ions would be K+ and CO3-2.

If this can be done can you explain what variables I have to look into to make sure it works, some variables I thought of was attration of ions and water, force of water flow, and the type of magnet used.

If you can give me your feedback and advice that would be great! Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, but no.

Yes - moving charges in the magnetic field are shifted to sides (google for Lorentz force), no, forces acting on these charges are way too low to be used for practical desalination.

Is it possible to make the force great enough?

No, you won't be able to produce magnetic fields strong enough.

Ok what about positive and negatively charged plates?

1. Can magnets really desalinate water?

Yes, magnets can desalinate water through a process called magnetic desalination. This method uses magnetic fields to separate salt from seawater, making it drinkable.

2. How does magnetic desalination work?

Magnetic desalination works by passing seawater through a magnetic field created by strong magnets. The magnetic field causes the salt particles in the water to clump together, making it easier to remove them from the water.

3. Is magnetic desalination a sustainable method of water desalination?

Yes, magnetic desalination is considered a sustainable method of water desalination because it does not require any chemicals or energy-intensive processes. It also has a lower carbon footprint compared to other desalination methods.

4. What are the advantages of using magnets for water desalination?

One of the main advantages of using magnets for water desalination is that it is a low-cost and energy-efficient method. It also produces high-quality drinking water without the use of chemicals or filters.

5. Are there any limitations to using magnets for water desalination?

While magnetic desalination has many benefits, it also has some limitations. It is not suitable for large-scale desalination projects and may not be as effective in removing certain contaminants from water. It also requires strong magnets, which can be expensive to produce.