Register to reply

Is the higgs boson the mediator of the higgs field?

by phy_infinite
Tags: boson, field, higgs, mediator
Share this thread:
phy_infinite
Dec21-13, 04:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 93
I'm a little confused about whether the higgs boson is the mediator of the higgs field. I haven't had a chance to study in depth the higgs field theory, but I have tried finding information from seemingly reliable sources and there are some apparent contradictions. I watched Leonard Susskinds lecture on the higgs boson, and he along with other sources have said that the higgs boson can be thought of as a dense region in the higgs field. Leonard susskind says that it is a particles exchange with another particle that he calls the "ziggs boson"; both absorbing and then reemitting the "ziggs" back into the condensate(higgs field?) that gives their mass. He then says the higgs boson is an excited state of the higgs field after the fact. This seems to imply that the higgs boson is not a mediator of the higgs field. I did read on fermilab's site saying that the higgs boson can interact with particles in more ways than the higgs field and in this sense the higgs boson can be thought of as a mediator of the higgs field. It was made clear that it's the higgs field that gives mass, so I'm not sure yo what extent the higgs boson mediates there. Finally, on the hyperphysics site here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ces/higgs.html and some more popular science sites, the higgs boson is described as the mediator of the higgs field and giving mass. I really appreciate any help sorting out my confusion.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Simon Bridge
Dec21-13, 09:25 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,067
Quote Quote by phy_infinite View Post
Leonard Susskind ... with other sources ... seem to imply that the higgs boson is not a mediator of the higgs field.
Sounds to me like he did imply exactly that - but just went into details about how it happens.

fermilab's site saying that the higgs boson can ... be thought of as a mediator of the higgs field.
(my emphs)

hyperphysics ... and some more popular science sites, the higgs boson is described as the mediator of the higgs field and giving mass.
I think I see the problem.

Compare:

The particle associated with the electromagnetic field is the photon.
Photons mediate the electromagnetic interaction and may be thought of as mediators for electromagnetic field.

The particle associated with the Higgs field is the Higgs boson.
Higgs Bosons mediate the Higgs interaction which is what gives particles their mass.
They can be though of "mediators of the Higg's field" in this sense.

Susskind just described the Higgs interaction in more detail ... thinking of these particles "mediators" is something of a simplification for people who don't have the math.

That help?
phy_infinite
Dec21-13, 09:42 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Simon Bridge View Post
The particle associated with the Higgs field is the Higgs boson.
Higgs Bosons mediate the Higgs interaction which is what gives particles their mass.
They can be though of "mediators of the Higg's field" in this sense.

Susskind just described the Higgs interaction in more detail ... thinking of these particles "mediators" is something of a simplification for people who don't have the math.

That help?
To some extent. I think what's throwing me off is Susskind's use of the "ziggs boson" as something completely different than the Higgs Boson. It seemed to me that it was the "ziggs" that is the "mediator" of the higgs interaction and that the higgs had no play in the particle acquiring mass. In Susskind's lecture, he goes on to say that it isn't really the higgs that gives mass, but the "ziggs".

Simon Bridge
Dec21-13, 10:44 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Is the higgs boson the mediator of the higgs field?

Oh yes;
Ziggs are not Higgs...
http://www.science20.com/quaternion_..._inertia-94899
phy_infinite
Dec21-13, 11:01 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Simon Bridge View Post
OK, so that makes it more clear how the ziggs can give mass to a particle. I still don't see how the higgs boson plays a role. Unless Susskind is saying that particles interact with these dense regions of the condensate(higgs boson) which therefore acts as the mediator of the ziggs boson and higgs field which then give mass?
Simon Bridge
Dec21-13, 11:46 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Yeah, we may have to wait a bit for the theory to work itself out.
It's still at the esoteric math stage.
Bill_K
Dec22-13, 05:26 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
I'm a little confused about whether the higgs boson is the mediator of the higgs field. I watched Leonard Susskinds lecture on the higgs boson, and he along with other sources have said that the higgs boson can be thought of as a dense region in the higgs field. He then says the higgs boson is an excited state of the higgs field after the fact. This seems to imply that the higgs boson is not a mediator of the higgs field. I really appreciate any help sorting out my confusion.
It's more important to understand what's going on rather than the semantics of a particular word, but for the record, fields do not have "mediators", fields have excitations.

One can speak of a force having a mediator, meaning a particle that serves to transmit the force from one object to another. The photon mediates the electromagnetic force, the graviton (if it exists) mediates the gravitational force, the W and Z mediate the weak force, and the gluon mediates the strong (aka color) force. There is no Higgs force to mediate.

Leonard susskind says that it is a particles exchange with another particle that he calls the "ziggs boson"; both absorbing and then reemitting the "ziggs" back into the condensate(higgs field?) that gives their mass.
Susskind is just trying to be cute. Unfortunately, in trying to come up with fanciful ways to dance around the Higgs idea he's just causing more confusion. The blog that Simon cited is even worse - total crackpottery.
ChrisVer
Dec22-13, 06:01 AM
P: 1,036
By Susskin's lecture, I thought that the ziggs boson is a goldstone boson... no wonder since he got it photonlike so massless... so it comes from fluctuations around the minimum of the higgs potential.
The higgs boson however,being massive, comes from fluctuations along the other possibility.
What I mean is that having the complex field F you can write it F=F1+i F2 but you can also write it as F=R exp[iB] as "polar coords". The goldstone boson then would come from fluctuations on B and the higgs from R.

So i hope I helped in your understanting. In SM from all I know, you can get rid of the goldstone bosons -B- by working on the unitary gauge, and giving some extra degrees of freedom to your W bosons.
phy_infinite
Dec22-13, 08:07 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Bill_K View Post
It's more important to understand what's going on rather than the semantics of a particular word, but for the record, fields do not have "mediators", fields have excitations.

One can speak of a force having a mediator, meaning a particle that serves to transmit the force from one object to another. The photon mediates the electromagnetic force, the graviton (if it exists) mediates the gravitational force, the W and Z mediate the weak force, and the gluon mediates the strong (aka color) force. There is no Higgs force to mediate.

Susskind is just trying to be cute. Unfortunately, in trying to come up with fanciful ways to dance around the Higgs idea he's just causing more confusion. The blog that Simon cited is even worse - total crackpottery.
OK, if that's the case then my question really is, does the higgs boson plays any role in a particles interaction with the higgs field? Or what role if any does the higgs boson play in a particle attaining mass? As I said in one of my other posts, the higgs boson seems to be something after the fact.
ZapperZ
Dec22-13, 08:11 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,242
This is always going to be confusing if you try to run first before learning how to walk. So let's probe this a bit more and see if you already understood OTHER things first.

Let's try the electromagnetic interaction. Have you already understood the QFT picture of this interaction that is mediated via virtual photons?

Zz.
phy_infinite
Dec22-13, 08:16 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
This is always going to be confusing if you try to run first before learning how to walk. So let's probe this a bit more and see if you already understood OTHER things first.

Let's try the electromagnetic interaction. Have you already understood the QFT picture of this interaction that is mediated via virtual photons?

Zz.
I am aware of that, yes.
ZapperZ
Dec22-13, 08:19 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I am aware of that, yes.
OK then. If you know that, then you should be familiar with the concept that the virtual photons are the quantum field excitations of the EM field, no?

Zz.
phy_infinite
Dec22-13, 08:22 AM
PF Gold
OK then. If you know that, then you should be familiar with the concept that the virtual photons are the quantum field excitations of the EM field, no?

Zz.
I didn't know the details of what that meant, so no I didn't know that virtual photons are quantum field excitations of the EM field.

Is this what the Higgs Boson is but for the Higgs field?
Bill_K
Dec22-13, 08:29 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
OK, if that's the case then my question really is, does the higgs boson plays any role in a particles interaction with the higgs field? Or what role if any does the higgs boson play in a particle attaining mass? As I said in one of my other posts, the higgs boson seems to be something after the fact.
You got it right. The Higgs field allows particles to have mass, while the Higgs boson plays no direct role in that. You can think of it as a side effect, but an important one, one that can be detected. Finding the Higgs boson is only the beginning, the LHC will spend the next 10-20 years exploring its properties.
ZapperZ
Dec22-13, 08:49 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I didn't know the details of what that meant, so no I didn't know that virtual photons are quantum field excitations of the EM field.

Is this what the Higgs Boson is but for the Higgs field?
In a naive way, yes, that is what the Higgs is with respect to the Higgs field, but in the sense that the collisions that we created caused the Higgs make its existence known briefly so that we can infer about the Higgs field.

Zz.
phy_infinite
Dec22-13, 09:49 AM
PF Gold
In a naive way, yes, that is what the Higgs is with respect to the Higgs field, but in the sense that the collisions that we created caused the Higgs make its existence known briefly so that we can infer about the Higgs field.

Zz.
OK, so by making these collisions, we excited the higgs field which created the higgs bosons which I see is important in confirming the existence of the higgs field. But as in the hyperphysics link I posted in the OP, it says, "The theories attribute the symmetry-breaking to a field called the Higgs field, and it requires a new boson, the Higgs boson, to mediate it." This sounds like for a particle to acquire mass, it must interact with a higgs for the higgs field. In the same way, I assume that virtual photons are necessary for a charged particles interaction with an EM field. But as in the susskind lecture, and post #14, it sounds like the boson is merely a side effect.

Here's a quote from a livescience article: "In physics, when particles interact with fields, the interaction must be mediated by a particle. Interactions with the electromagnetic (EM) field, for example, are mediated by photons, or particles of light. When a negatively charged electron is pulled by the EM field toward a positively charged proton, the electron experiences the EM field by absorbing and emitting a constant stream of "virtual photons" — photons that momentarily pop in and out of existence just for the purpose of mediating the particle-field interaction. Furthermore, when the EM field is "excited," meaning its energy is flared up in a certain spot, that flare-up is, itself, a photon — a real one in that case.

Along the same lines, the Higgs particle mediates interactions with the Higgs field, and is itself an excitation of the Higgs field. Particles are thought to trudge through the Higgs field (thereby acquiring mass) by exchanging virtual Higgs particles with it." http://www.livescience.com/21400-wha...explained.html

So here, now it's "virtual Higgs particles" that mediate the interaction. I feel like I'm sort of going in circles here.
Bill_K
Dec22-13, 11:08 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
I feel like I'm sort of going in circles here.
I feel like you are too!

Here's a quote from a livescience article:
Almost every word you've quoted from this article is sheer baloney.
phy_infinite
Dec22-13, 11:21 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Bill_K View Post
Almost every word you've quoted from this article is sheer baloney.
Perhaps that's what's contributing to a lot of my confusion then! I can think of the higgs field as being responsible for giving mass and the higgs boson as being a side effect. Also, that the higgs boson is simply an excitation of the higgs field. I guess the question really is, does the higgs boson do anything? I mean, does it do anything to other particles?

Register to reply