Should I Switch Schools to Take Advanced Math and Science Classes?

In summary, if you want to take AP Calculus BC and AP Physics C in high school, you need to speak with your school's guidance counselor and ask your parents to sign a waiver. If you want to attend classes at a community college, you can do that. If you want to use AP credit to skip physics 1 and 2 as well as calculus 1 and 2 once you enter university, you don't need to actually take AP Physics C and AP Calc BC classes; you can study the subjects yourself using the standard textbooks for the respective classes (e.g. Halliday and Resnick for Physics C) and sign up for the respective AP exams.
Cubeman
Stay or switch high schools?!

Math and science are my favorite subjects. I like to challenge myself and take the hardest classes. However, my school doesn't have AP Calculus BC or AP Physics C. I'm currently a soft-more. Should I switch schools, or just take those classes in college?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you take those classes at a local community college?

Can you switch schools? That doesn't seem like a decision you can make on your own, actually none of these are decisions you can pull off without parental support. Have you talked to your guardians?

Cubeman said:
Math and science are my favorite subjects. I like to challenge myself and take the hardest classes. However, my school doesn't have AP Calculus BC or AP Physics C. I'm currently a soft-more. Should I switch schools, or just take those classes in college?

Thanks

I hope that you learn that it's 'sophomore' before you go to college. 'Soft-more' sounds like some kind of marshmallow.

R136a1 said:
Can you take those classes at a local community college?

Actually, I haven't checked yet

Student100 said:
Can you switch schools? That doesn't seem like a decision you can make on your own, actually none of these are decisions you can pull off without parental support. Have you talked to your guardians?
Ya, my parents are ok with whatever decision I make

SteamKing said:
I hope that you learn that it's 'sophomore' before you go to college. 'Soft-more' sounds like some kind of marshmallow.

Haha, I accidentally forgot a letter and my ipad auto-corrected me

Cubeman said:
Ya, my parents are ok with whatever decision I make

Wow, you have some good parents then. You should 1. Speak with your schools guidance counselor to ensure they don't offer these courses in another way. 2. Ask your parents to talk to your schools administration and see if its possible to realistically transfer you to a school were such courses are offered. 3. Have your parents sign a wavier and allow you to attend classes at a CC, and provide you transportation to do all these things of course.

If your goal is to use AP credit to skip physics 1 and 2 as well as calculus 1 and 2 once you enter university then you don't need to actually take AP Physics C and AP Calc BC classes; you can study the subjects yourself using the standard textbooks for the respective classes (e.g. Halliday and Resnick for Physics C) and sign up for the respective AP exams. The college board doesn't require you to have taken the classes for the APs beforehand.

If on the other hand you really want to be in a physics C and/or calc BC classroom environment whilst in high school then taking the community college equivalents would be your best bet.

Well, there is this other high school that offers those classes that I was thinking of taking in my junior year. I just don't know if leaving friends and having to drive extra is worth taking classes that I can just take in college.

If it's worth anything, I'm currently a junior physics major and my high school didn't offer any AP courses... At all. I finished high school with precalc and college algebra and one semester of physics. I actually found this to be advantageous. I started off thinking I was way behind the other students in calc when I went to university therefore I studied extremely hard and ended up getting the top grade. This trend continued due to forming good habits during my first year. Many of my friends on the other hand already thought they knew everything so hardly studied. Some skipped calc I and physics I all together using AP credit and as a result, had large gaps in their knowledge base. It honestly is not a big deal to start from the bottom if you are not able to switch schools.

Likes 1 person
Thanks everyone

1. Should I stay at my current high school or switch to a different one?

This is a common question for students who may be unhappy with their current high school or considering a different educational opportunity. The answer to this question depends on individual circumstances and needs. It is important to weigh the pros and cons of both options and consider factors such as academic programs, extracurricular activities, and social environment.

2. How will switching high schools affect my academic progress?

Switching high schools may have an impact on a student's academic progress. This could be positive if the new school offers more challenging courses or a better learning environment. However, it could also be negative if the student has to repeat classes or adjust to a different curriculum. It is important to discuss academic goals with school counselors and teachers before making a decision.

3. Will I lose credits if I switch high schools?

In most cases, students will not lose credits if they switch high schools. However, the new school may have different graduation requirements, which could result in the need to make up credits. It is important to check with both schools to ensure a smooth transition and minimize any potential credit loss.

4. How will changing schools affect my social life?

Switching high schools can have a significant impact on a student's social life. They may have to leave behind friends and familiar faces and build new relationships. It is important to consider the social environment of the new school and whether it aligns with your interests and values.

5. What steps should I take to successfully transition to a new high school?

To successfully transition to a new high school, it is important to communicate with teachers and counselors, research the new school's programs and requirements, and get involved in extracurricular activities. It may also be helpful to reach out to current students or join social media groups to get a feel for the school's culture and make new connections before starting.