Register to reply

Allowable Deflection of a Cantilevered Beam

Share this thread:
CWIL
Dec27-13, 12:58 PM
P: 3
I am struggling to remember how to determine the allowable delta max for a beam.

I am currently modeling the bending forces upon a piece of square tubing, and though developing delta max seems rather straight forward, I can not seem to remeber how to determine just how much deflection I am allowed in that beam.

Essentially... I have my delta max, but how do I know if that much deflection is OK in my design (failure due to Plastic Deformation)

Any input is appreciated

I have seen on another PF thread that 1" of deflection per every 250" of beam is an accepted approach. Is this accurate? What is the basis behind this estimation?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
3-D printing leads to another advance in make-it-yourself lab equipment
Nanoscience makes your wine better
mohamadh95
Dec27-13, 02:06 PM
P: 38
Well if the beam is supposed to act in an elastic way like steel you can easily use the double integration method. If it's made out of concrete it will be a bit more complicated. If you want further information just ask again and I will reply.
mohamadh95
Dec27-13, 02:08 PM
P: 38
Wait I think I got you wrong, you want to know the allowable deflection? You can find it in the construction codes like ACI.

nvn
Dec28-13, 05:13 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,124
Allowable Deflection of a Cantilevered Beam

Please see duplicate thread at thread 730175.

Register to reply