Register to reply

Blood transfusion Confusion

by ElmorshedyDr
Tags: blood, confusion, transfusion
Share this thread:
ElmorshedyDr
Dec27-13, 11:51 PM
P: 395
I'm really confused about blood transfusion, I know that O group is a universal Donner but how since it has both antibodies A,B, why doesn't agglutination happen? For an example o group is donated to an individual with A blood group why doesn't the antibody A of O group cause Agglutination in the recipient blood since a got antigenes A
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Mycobacteria metabolism discovery may pave way for new tuberculosis drugs
Bacteria swim with whole body, not just propellers
Researchers simplify process to purify water using seed extracts
Simon Bridge
Dec28-13, 12:07 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,356
afaik: Type O is no longer considered to be a strict "universal donor" for just the reasons you point out.
See, for eg. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uni...r-type/HQ00949
ElmorshedyDr
Dec28-13, 12:11 AM
I can't understand how can O group be donated to any other group without transfusion ??

Simon Bridge
Dec28-13, 12:26 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
Blood transfusion Confusion

You don't donate blood to another blood group - you donate it to a blood bank.
You mean you don't understand how O blood can be transfused into a patient with another blood type - ever?

It is because type O has neither A nor B antigen.
http://anthro.palomar.edu/blood/ABO_system.htm
ElmorshedyDr
Dec28-13, 12:29 AM
Yes I mean how can it be given to another patient of another blood group without agglutination
Simon Bridge
Dec28-13, 12:49 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
Quote Quote by ElmorshedyDr View Post
Yes I mean how can it be given to another patient of another blood group without agglutination
Well...

Quote Quote by Simon Bridge View Post
It is because type O has neither A nor B antigen.
http://anthro.palomar.edu/blood/ABO_system.htm
There's two parts to blood typing.
Enigman
Dec28-13, 03:02 AM
Best Humor
P: 555
Evo
Dec28-13, 12:33 PM
Mentor
P: 26,412
Quote Quote by ElmorshedyDr View Post
I'm really confused about blood transfusion, I know that O group is a universal Donner but how since it has both antibodies A,B, why doesn't agglutination happen? For an example o group is donated to an individual with A blood group why doesn't the antibody A of O group cause Agglutination in the recipient blood since a got antigenes A
This might help, the rest of the page has additional useful information.

By way of example: considering the transfusion of O Rh D negative blood (universal donor blood) into a recipient of blood group A Rh D positive, an immune reaction between the recipient's anti-B antibodies and the transfused RBCs is not anticipated. However, the relatively small amount of plasma in the transfused blood contains anti-A antibodies, which could react with the A antigens on the surface of the recipients RBCs, but a significant reaction is unlikely because of the dilution factors. Rh D sensitization is not anticipated.

Additionally, red blood cell surface antigens other than A, B and Rh D, might cause adverse reactions and sensitization, if they can bind to the corresponding antibodies to generate an immune response. Transfusions are further complicated because platelets and white blood cells (WBCs) have their own systems of surface antigens, and sensitization to platelet or WBC antigens can occur as a result of transfusion.

With regard to transfusions of plasma, this situation is reversed. Type O plasma, containing both anti-A and anti-B antibodies, can only be given to O recipients. The antibodies will attack the antigens on any other blood type. Conversely, AB plasma can be given to patients of any ABO blood group due to not containing any anti-A or anti-B antibodies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_t...sal_recipients

Register to reply