Question about temperature and Specific Weight

by petersun825
Tags: specific, specific weight, temperature, weight
petersun825
Dec30-13, 12:20 AM
P: 5
Hello,

I know there are many different representations of temperature, there's 4, 1) Fahrenheit 2) Kelvin 3) Celsius then there's 4) T = 460 + F

In my fluid dynamics review book To calculate specific weight γ= P(pressure) / (R * T) = lb/ft^3, it explained that T should be absolute temp so I used 2) kelvin, but the book used 4) T = 460+F

Can somebody explain what 460 + F stands for??

Thanks,
Peter
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
Borek
Dec30-13, 03:24 AM
Admin
P: 22,671
Absolute in this context means any scale for which zero is at absolute zero. 460+F is also known as a Rankine scale.
petersun825
Dec30-13, 01:24 PM
P: 5
So Rankine scale goes with british units lb/ft^3 and kelvin scale goes with international units like kg/m^3?

Borek
Dec30-13, 02:05 PM
Admin
P: 22,671

Question about temperature and Specific Weight

Not necessarily. Units used will change the R value - it can be calculated to use any combination of mass, length and temperature units (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_constant - see the table on the right). The only important thing is that the temperature scale is absolute (as explained in my previous post).
dawin
Dec30-13, 08:14 PM
P: 55
Quote Quote by petersun825 View Post
So Rankine scale goes with british units lb/ft^3 and kelvin scale goes with international units like kg/m^3?
Generally, yes, you'll see those pairings. Not necessarily just those units--other units will be used besides lbs/ft^3. Fahrenheit is usually used by those that use US Customary units, and we happen to also use lbs, inches/ft, etc, so the pairing is usually natural.

1 Ra is equivalent to a change of 1 F. Whereas 1 Kelvin is equal a change of 1 C.

Register to reply