Register to reply

Weighing Air

by Jayse_83
Tags: weighing
Share this thread:
Jayse_83
Apr25-05, 04:07 PM
P: 16
Hi guys, i was hoping to get an explanation for something that is bugging me. QUESTION - An evacuated flask weighs 350g and with air present it weighs 356.3g ... now i understand that the weight will increase due to the fact that air weighs something, but the part that confuses me is if we consider the fact that the particles are moving around inside te flask and not touching the flask.
What would be a good way of explaining this ?? im thinking along the lines of the flask weight is the sum of the flask + contents ... but its far from an ellegant explanation.
Thanks
Jayse
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Mapping the optimal route between two quantum states
Spin-based electronics: New material successfully tested
Verifying the future of quantum computing
dextercioby
Apr25-05, 04:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,896
You have to be kidding,right...?Is there any sign that the air molecules (mainly [itex] N_{2} [/itex] and [itex] O_{2} [/itex]) could pass through the amorphous structure of glass,so that the "mass conservation" would not be possible...?

Daniel.
Jayse_83
Apr25-05, 04:18 PM
Hey, Im not sure if i explained the problem to well...
The flask does weigh more (its not a shock ... i hope :S) but the way i intially thought of a solution was to consider the gas to be solid or liquid and imagine the constituents of air neatly sat at the bottom of the flask. But the problem states that the air moves does not touch the flask (or if it does we can assume that the collisions with each dA (unit area) of the flask will be equally balanced with a pressure force in the opposite direction. Its got me all muddled!

whozum
Apr25-05, 04:21 PM
P: 2,219
Weighing Air

The air molecules inside are still being pulled by gravity, the pressure on the bottom of the flask is responsible for the added weight, as the particles are getting pulled down (I believe).
Jayse_83
Apr25-05, 04:28 PM
Yeh that makes sense, like atomospheric pressure pushing on us ... on the side what would be the difference between a sealed box filled with a balloon ... and the same scenario but this time the balloon is attached to a weight which is being suspended.
Would the second box weigh more ... and will it weigh box + balloon + weight ?
DaveC426913
Apr25-05, 05:40 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by Jayse_83
Hi guys, i was hoping to get an explanation for something that is bugging me. QUESTION - An evacuated flask weighs 350g and with air present it weighs 356.3g ... now i understand that the weight will increase due to the fact that air weighs something, but the part that confuses me is if we consider the fact that the particles are moving around inside te flask and not touching the flask.
What would be a good way of explaining this ?? im thinking along the lines of the flask weight is the sum of the flask + contents ... but its far from an ellegant explanation.
Thanks
Jayse
I don't understand how the particles can move around inside the glass without touching it. There must be some physical mechanism, even if it's indirect (such as a second container). If there isn't any transfer of force from air (ultimately) to glass, then, yes the air would effectively be weightless!(which won't happen)
Integral
Apr25-05, 06:23 PM
Mentor
P: 7,315
In reality the molecules of gas do collide with the sides of the flask. But this is not the reason the flask weighs more. Were it collisions with the sides of the container causing the added mass then the mass would be temperature dependent. This is not the case (lets leave relativity out of this!)

It is not so clear to me that you can ignore what is happening on the BOTTOM of the container. Suppose that we where to suspend (meaning that it is externally supported by something other then the outter flask) a flask full of air inside of larger evacuated flask. would the weight of the suspended flask contribute to the weight of the outer?

Unless the outer flask is some how supporting the inner the answer must be no.
SpaceTiger
Apr25-05, 06:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977
I think a better way to think about this is to say that air is actually pushing "up" on the evacuated flask. Let's look at the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium:

[tex]\frac{dP}{dr}=-\rho g[/tex]

If g is assumed to be roughly constant, this can be simplified to the Physics 101 equation:

[tex]\Delta P=-\rho g \Delta r[/tex]

Now, for simplicity, let's imagine a cylindrical vial or cup, closed on the top. The particles outside the cup will be pushing down on the lid and up on the base (yes, there's air underneath the cup). The difference between the force pushing up and that pushing down is given by:

[tex]\Delta F=-\rho ghA[/tex]

where A is the area of the lid/base and h is the height of the cup. In other words, there is a net force upwards. Since the sides of the cup are distributed identically in height, there will be no net lateral force from the air outside the cup.

What about inside the cup? Well, if there's air in it, then the internal pressure will push up on the lid and down on the base with the same forces that the outside air is pushing, so it will exactly balance the force given above. In other words, the air won't add to the cup's weight. If the cup is evacuated, however, there will be no pressure from inside the cup to balance the air pressure outside. How does all this relate to the weight of the air? Well, we can rewrite the equation above:

[tex]\Delta F = -\rho ghA=-\rho gV=-m_{air}g[/tex]

where V is the volume of the cup. This is just the "missing" weight of the air that was inside the cup!

So, long story short, if there's no air inside, then the atmosphere will exert a net upward force on the flask/cup/vial. If there is air inside, then its pressure will cancel that of the air outside and you will get only the weight of the solid material. What we've just done is inadvertantly rederived a special case of Archimedes' Principle, which says that a body immersed in a fluid will experience an upward force equal to the weight of the displaced fluid.
russ_watters
Apr25-05, 06:44 PM
Mentor
P: 22,243
So to boil it all down: the pressure in a closed container will be very slightly higher at the bottom of the container than at the top and that difference is equal to the weight of the air inside the flask (pressure times surface area, actually).
jdavel
Apr25-05, 07:10 PM
P: 618
here's a related question.

If an inflated balloon is weighed in air, does it weigh more, less, or the same as it weighs when its deflated?
SpaceTiger
Apr25-05, 07:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977
Quote Quote by jdavel
If an inflated balloon is weighed in air, does it weigh more, less, or the same as it weighs when its deflated?
If the air inside the balloon is the same as outside, it will weigh approximately the same in either case...though the stretching of the balloon material may complicate things a bit.
whozum
Apr25-05, 08:02 PM
P: 2,219
Quote Quote by Integral
It is not so clear to me that you can ignore what is happening on the BOTTOM of the container. Suppose that we where to suspend (meaning that it is externally supported by something other then the outter flask) a flask full of air inside of larger evacuated flask. would the weight of the suspended flask contribute to the weight of the outer?

Unless the outer flask is some how supporting the inner the answer must be no.
I think you were referring to my post, which was supposed to address this exact concept. The added weight is due to the air pressure on the bottom of the flask.
Mk
Apr26-05, 01:41 AM
P: 2,056
Quote Quote by jdavel
here's a related question.

Well, it depends on what the question is asking, it can weigh more or stay the same: If you mean the weight of the balloon, then it will of course stay the same. If you mean the weight of the balloon and its contents, then it will weigh more, because there is more matter there.
jdavel
Apr26-05, 01:58 AM
Mk,

"....then it will weigh more, because there is more matter there."

Careful! If it's full of He there's more matter, but it weighs less. Remember, we're weighing the balloon in air.
Jayse_83
Apr26-05, 09:30 AM
wow! thanks for all the replies, u've cleared that problem up for me :D
Mk
Apr27-05, 01:22 AM
Quote Quote by jdavel
Careful! If it's full of He there's more matter, but it weighs less. Remember, we're weighing the balloon in air.
Weight is the force exerted upon an object by virtue of its position in a gravitational field. It is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the magnitude of the gravitational field. The balloon still weighs more, just because it's floating, or even going up doesn't mean it doesn't have weight! Clouds have weight, dust has weight. Though the balloon's apparent weight is ≤0.
jdavel
Apr27-05, 09:05 AM
Quote Quote by Mk
Weight is the force exerted upon an object by virtue of its position in a gravitational field. It is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the magnitude of the gravitational field. The balloon still weighs more, just because it's floating, or even going up doesn't mean it doesn't have weight! Clouds have weight, dust has weight. Though the balloon's apparent weight is ≤0.
So an object in free fall isn't weightless? How about an object in orbit around the earth? Aren't astronauts weightless in space?

I think a better definition of weight is what a scale reads when you stand on it!
Mk
Apr27-05, 11:20 PM
The things you describe have ≤0 apparent weight. And your definition is the definition of apparent weight. In space there is microgravity, so they also have apparent weight.

Register to reply