Highest Level of Math

by Dooh
Tags: math
Dooh
Apr25-05, 09:16 PM
P: 43
What is the highest level of math one would recommend for a person who wants to get into a med school and become a doctor one day? The reason im asking this is because i'm horrible in math and im afraid it might get in my way.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists pinpoint when harmless bacteria became flesh-eating monsters
Asian air pollution affect Pacific Ocean storms
Rocket leak delays space station delivery launch (Update)
gravenewworld
Apr25-05, 09:23 PM
P: 1,389
calc 1&2 should be plenty
kdinser
Apr26-05, 05:25 AM
P: 338
While there's not any calculus on the MCAT, your score may benefit from taking the calculus based physics classes instead of the algebra ones. It saved me a lot of time and made some of the questions much easier by knowing Calculus. I'm sure it improved my physical science score by at least a point if not 2.

You also need to figure out if your actually bad at math or just don't like it. When I was in high school, I used the "I suck at math" excuse extensively to stay in easier math classes and just take the bare minimum to graduate. Once I got into college, I found that I was not, in fact, incapable of doing math, I just had to actually put in some effort and study it. Once I did I found that I actually enjoyed it.

If your truly unable to learn and understand mathematics, and I doubt that, then it could be a huge obstacle for you to over come. At a minimum, your going to have to take College algebra and trigonometry. For the MCAT you will need, college physics I and II with labs, general chemistry I and II with labs, organic chemistry I and II with lab. All of these classes require college algebra and trig to understand and do well in.

neurocomp2003
Apr26-05, 01:24 PM
P: 1,373

Highest Level of Math

isn't calc I & II & III required to enter medschool? or is that just in canada?
gravenewworld
Apr26-05, 01:41 PM
P: 1,389
calc 1&2 in america
BobG
Apr26-05, 02:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
Quote Quote by kdinser
If your truly unable to learn and understand mathematics, and I doubt that, .......
If the average person weren't capable of solving triple integrals for torque due to an external force in their head without the aid of any calculating device in less than .2 of a second, how could they possibly get across a parking lot to their car on a windy day? Especially women wearing those spike high heels!

One look at woman walking across a parking lot on a windy day in those spike high heels and you've just gotta think, "Man, she's gota be great at calculus!"

Maybe it's the pencil and paper that make calculus seem so hard.
jtbell
Apr26-05, 02:12 PM
Mentor
P: 11,216
Quote Quote by gravenewworld
calc 1&2 in america
My college puts several graduates in medical school every year, and few of them have taken calculus. Our General Physics course (which they have to take) doesn't use calculus. Of course, med schools in South Carolina and Georgia may be different from med schools elsewhere..

(hmmm, now that I think of it, we do have a special one-semester calculus course called "Calculus for the Social and Biological Sciences", but it's not required for our pre-med program.)
kdinser
Apr26-05, 02:26 PM
P: 338
When I was planning to go to go to med school, none of the schools I was interested in required calculus.

Having said that, IMO it would be a good idea for any premed student to take at least calculus I. It will help you on whatever pre med test you have to take and will help you understand your physics and chemistry classes better. Getting into medical school is very competitive, you should take whatever classes can give you an advantage over your competition.
Andromeda321
Apr26-05, 06:12 PM
P: 153
At my school the premeds take Calc I and II, the idea being if they're going to take physics they need to understand it somehow.
Dooh
Apr26-05, 10:36 PM
P: 43
So I'm assuming calc 2 will be the highest level that i need? If the highest level of math that i complete during high school is math analysis (Trig/Pre-Cal). What would be the next math class that i have to take in college, Calc 1? Then Calc 2 right after that?
whozum
Apr27-05, 12:18 AM
P: 2,223
Youcan go right onto calc from trig pre cal. Many med schools 'recommend' calculus, a few require one semester. Eitherway, first semester calculus isnt hard.

Register to reply