Tags: digital, oscilloscope
Share this thread:
sophiecentaur
Jan3-14, 12:06 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,268
I am totally fed up with not having had the use of an oscilloscope for many years. It has been very frustrating on so many occasions. I need one.
So, my options are (and I only want to spend minimal cash, of course): An ancient eBay analogue scope for something around 100, a PC based one or a small, hand-held digital scope. Anything more desirable will cost too much.
Before I bid on a dodgy old analogue scope, can anyone give me an opinion about the Portable pocket sized 'Arm' style scopes?
Alternatively, is there a sampler which will interface with my iMac? I couldn't find anything that I could use without invoking Parallels (the PC emulator).
I would really appreciate some well informed answers. I'm sure several of you guys have been there too.
Cheers in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
3-D printing leads to another advance in make-it-yourself lab equipment
Nanoscience makes your wine better
phinds
Jan3-14, 01:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,507
I think a major consideration would be the relationship among these:
(1) what kind of response time do you need for what you do?
(2) what kind of response time is available on the analog scope ?
(3) what kind of response time is available on the digital scope ?

I suppose there are other considerations such as how high a voltage they can deal with but my concern was always with response times.
the_emi_guy
Jan3-14, 03:26 PM
P: 589
A couple years ago a fooled around with this:

http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/scope_en

Very nice GUI, drives just like real scope, free, but, of course, limited to bandwidth of soundcard.

sophiecentaur
Jan3-14, 03:45 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,268
Digital Oscilloscope

Quote Quote by the_emi_guy View Post
A couple years ago a fooled around with this:

http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/scope_en

Very nice GUI, drives just like real scope, free, but, of course, limited to bandwidth of soundcard.
Does it work on OS X? (As in my question.)

@phinds
I was after around 20MHz response as that seems to be the break point between cheap and not cheap. It also takes care of lots of home electronics stuff. I have no chance of working on GHz processor circuits - rather it would be audio / inverters / simple logic etc.
I really wanted to know about the downside of the little hand held jobs. Have you used one?
the_emi_guy
Jan4-14, 12:20 AM
P: 589
[QUOTE=sophiecentaur;4619911]Does it work on OS X? (As in my question.)

Looks like OS X would be a problem.

I've never used the little Nano oscilloscopes but they look pretty amazing for the price. I would be worried that a single channel would be too limiting, and the multichannel ones are more expensive (but maybe still in your budget).

Hopefully someone who has one will chime in.
phinds
Jan4-14, 12:48 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,507
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
Does it work on OS X? (As in my question.)

@phinds
I was after around 20MHz response as that seems to be the break point between cheap and not cheap. It also takes care of lots of home electronics stuff. I have no chance of working on GHz processor circuits - rather it would be audio / inverters / simple logic etc.
I really wanted to know about the downside of the little hand held jobs. Have you used one?
No, can't help you there. I only used big expensive lab ones. Never had one at home.
tfr000
Jan4-14, 08:22 AM
P: 127
FWIW - in 30+ years in electronics, maybe 95% of oscilloscope work has been done single channel. but, when you need it, you need it.
vk6kro
Jan5-14, 12:39 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,047
The workhorse of analog oscilloscopes has been the 20 MHz dual trace type.

You may not need dual trace, but it is an indication of a better type of device.

With the arrival of digital oscilloscopes, perfectly good analog types are available cheaply.

I have a 20 MHz oscilloscope which can give a stable sinewave from a 60 MHz input.

The portable $60 oscilloscopes have very small screens but 60 MHz bandwidth. So, maybe a bit difficult to use, but an amazing price.
Windadct
Jan5-14, 01:21 PM
P: 575
Hello Sophie ... been looking at this pretty hard for while now. I have come across a couple good "deals" for older analog, but the general consensus is that the sellers rarely will certify the scope is 100% functional. There are guys selling reconditioned - and they will back the scope up - but at your price point that may be tough. So for the money I have pretty much given up on older used analog - but still possible.
The next best choice at that bandwith is the PC scopes, the Hantek types seem to have a pretty good reputation ( http://dx.com/p/hantek-6022be-2-ch-a...FUjxOgodhXYAGw )
I am looking for more like 200mHz Bandwith ( for power electronics) and need the scope to do a Lissajous (V-I curve trace) - so the low end DSOs ( $300-500 US) 2 channel can get me to 100mHz -- the 200 Mhz is tougher to find. - I would prefer the DSO to allow easier snapshots of switching events.

Register to reply