Is possible for him to hear again?

by S_David
Tags: None
Share this thread:
S_David
Jan4-14, 12:00 AM
P: 599
Hi all,

The issue is that I know someone who cannot hear using his right ear because of an infection happened to him in an earlier age, and he didn't treat it. In that case, is it possible for him to hear again using it, hypothetically?

I appreciate any help in this.

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Study IDs risk factors for severe hidradenitis suppurativa
Endogenous hormones improve breast cancer risk models
With kids in school, parents can work out
Drakkith
Jan4-14, 02:58 AM
Mentor
P: 11,844
That depends entirely on what kind of damage was done to his hearing. I'd recommend having him visit a doctor and seeing what they have to say.
Pythagorean
Jan4-14, 05:33 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
In the whole wide world of generalization, sure it's possible. In your friend's specific case, an in-person doctor would know best.

S_David
Jan4-14, 10:51 AM
Is possible for him to hear again?

Actually, he did check with two doctors, and both of them said there is no hope. But I want to dig more about it, may there is a way to change the possibilities. What information do I need to know about his damage exactly to know if he can hear again?

Thanks
atyy
Jan4-14, 12:58 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,552
If the hair cells are lost, but the auditory nerve is undamaged, a cochlear implant may restore some hearing.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proc...n/PRC-20021470
"A cochlear implant is an electronic device that partially restores hearing in people who have severe hearing loss due to damage of the inner ear and who don't benefit from hearing aids."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/FAQ-20058398
"Cochlear implants which bypass damaged or nonworking parts of the inner ear can improve hearing if you have severe to profound hearing loss. Cochlear implants are electronic devices that convert acoustic sounds into electrical pulses that stimulate the auditory nerve directly. Your auditory nerve carries the signal to your brain, which recognizes the signal as sound.

If your hearing loss is severe, you may be a candidate for cochlear implants. Cochlear implant candidates generally have great difficulty understanding speech in everyday listening situations even with hearing aids. Cochlear implants cannot restore "normal" hearing. But with communication training, children as young as 12 months of age and adults who have lost their hearing can benefit."
AlephZero
Jan5-14, 11:00 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,121
If he has approximately normal hearing in one ear, restoring badly distorted hearing in the other ear could make things worse rather than better., from a "quality of life" point of view.
S_David
Jan5-14, 08:55 PM
Actually, he does hear using his left ear, but recently sometimes he has trouble in hearing from first time when talked to, especially he is not young. So, is it better to take care of his left ear instead of fixing the other one?
Evo
Jan5-14, 10:02 PM
Mentor
P: 26,528
Quote Quote by S_David View Post
Actually, he does hear using his left ear, but recently sometimes he has trouble in hearing from first time when talked to, especially he is not young. So, is it better to take care of his left ear instead of fixing the other one?
There is no way we can answer this. Please have your friend see a doctor. We don't diagnose here. We've given you all the suggestions we can. I wish your friend good luck at the doctor.

Register to reply