Register to reply

Are there any examples of functions that react to themselves?

by alvin51015
Tags: examples, functions, react
Share this thread:
alvin51015
Jan5-14, 11:30 AM
P: 10
Hi. Are there any examples of functions that react to themselves? If so, how are they expressed algebraically? Any simple example will be extremely enlightening to me. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
SteamKing
Jan5-14, 01:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,528
What do you mean by "functions which react to themselves"? That's a pretty vague description.
alvin51015
Jan5-14, 02:18 PM
P: 10
I was just throwing out an idea to see if the work of Dean Radin had permeated the regular body of knowledge.
I would say that my vagueness lends itself to the fact that I haven't figured anything out yet.

rcgldr
Jan5-14, 02:38 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,126
Are there any examples of functions that react to themselves?

One type of example, would be differential equations where acceleration is based on position. For example a sine or cosine wave would be [itex]\ddot x = -x [/i]. A common real world example would be the elliptical orbits of a two body system.

I doubt these are what you're looking for, but they are functions that react to themselves (the acceleration eventually results in new position(s), and the new position(s) affect acceleration).
Number Nine
Jan5-14, 03:40 PM
P: 772
Quote Quote by alvin51015 View Post
I was just throwing out an idea to see if the work of Dean Radin had permeated the regular body of knowledge.
The parapsychologist crank, Dean Radin?
Evo
Jan5-14, 04:16 PM
Mentor
P: 26,545
Exactly, let's not bring up crackpots here since it's against our rules to discuss them.

Register to reply