Essential software for windows xp

by mattmns
Tags: essential, software, windows
franznietzsche
May3-05, 07:24 PM
P: 1,782
Quote Quote by SpaceTiger
For a long time, the main reason I used Windows was the availability of emulation software, so if you're gonna use XP, you might as well pick up some of the better emulators (e.g. FCEUltra, ZSNES).
Those run on Linux you know....

Well, I know ZSNES does, since i use it all the time. And so do quite a few others.
franznietzsche
May3-05, 07:24 PM
Quote Quote by LeBrad
XP has better IM stuff for webcams, so you can chat online with hot babes, all day.

So, if you're more pathetic than the most anti-social computer geek ever, Windows is for you!
dduardo
May3-05, 07:31 PM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
LeBrad, you've never tried GnomeMeeting I assume:

http://www.gnomemeeting.org/

franznietzsche, your right, and here is the most popular emulator:

http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/
LeBrad
May3-05, 08:12 PM
P: 212
Quote Quote by dduardo
LeBrad, you've never tried GnomeMeeting I assume:

http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
No I haven't, probably because I used KDE over Gnome (and fluxbox over KDE). But thank you for pointing that out to me. All I tried was some video thing for gaim which was awful.

Quote Quote by An hilarious dude
So, if you're more pathetic than the most anti-social computer geek ever, Windows is for you!
ZING!

FredNeiche, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day.
SpaceTiger
May4-05, 09:20 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977
Quote Quote by franznietzsche
Those run on Linux you know....
Haha, I'm a staff member for Zophar's Domain, so I know about the emulation options for Linux. Even the ones that do have Linux versions are notoriously unreliable on that platform. Please, try to tell me that an emulation enthusiast is better off with Linux, it will amuse me greatly.

Now there's the pot calling the kettle black.
franznietzsche
May5-05, 12:02 AM
Quote Quote by SpaceTiger
Haha, I'm a staff member for Zophar's Domain, so I know about the emulation options for Linux. Even the ones that do have Linux versions are notoriously unreliable on that platform. Please, try to tell me that an emulation enthusiast is better off with Linux, it will amuse me greatly.
To be fair, the only one i use regularly is ZSNES, and it runs flawlessly for me.
Though, i was saddened when NEStron didn't work in wine.

Now there's the pot calling the kettle black.

No, I am the most anti-social computer geek ever, but I don't stoop so low as to webcam chat. I have dignity dammit. Or i like to pretend i do at least.
SpaceTiger
May5-05, 06:15 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
To be fair, the only one i use regularly is ZSNES, and it runs flawlessly for me.
Though, i was saddened when NEStron didn't work in wine.
I don't mean to say that there are no good emulators for Linux, just that your options are much more limited. I would be the last to diminish the contributions of, for example, the authors of X-MAME or FUSE, but the fact is that most authors write for Windows. Why? Because it's what most people have. If all you want to do is play the popular games from a popular (and old) system, then the Linux emulators will do the trick. If you actually want to make a hobby of it or play something obscure, you'd be well-advised to, at the very least, dual boot.
LeBrad
May5-05, 07:25 AM
P: 212
I have dignity dammit. Or i like to pretend i do at least.
Dignity? What's that? Is it one of those diseases that makes you lose the ability to consistently capitalize 'i'?
SpaceTiger
May5-05, 12:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by LeBrad
Dignity? What's that? Is it one of those diseases that makes you lose the ability to consistently capitalize 'i'?
No, it's one of those diseases that makes you lose the ability to capitalize on webcam opportunities with internet babes!

Register to reply