Register to reply

Waves on water

Share this thread:
asaspades
Jan10-14, 06:40 PM
P: 12
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A water wave traveling in a straight line on a lake is described by the equation
[itex]y(x,t)=(3.75\,\text{cm})\cos(0.450\,\text{cm}^{-1}x+5.40\,\text{s}^{−1}t)[/itex]
where [itex]y[/itex] is the displacement perpendicular to the undisturbed surface of the lake.

How much time does it take for one complete wave pattern to go past a fisherman in a boat at anchor?

What horizontal distance does the wave crest travel in that time?
2. Relevant equations

[itex]\omega = 2\pi f[/itex]
[itex]k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This is part of an online test we were asked to submit. For the first part I got [itex]t=1.16\,\text{s}[/itex] which was correct. For the second part I got the wavelength as the answer, [itex]\lambda = \frac{2\pi}{0.0045} \approx 1396\,\text{m}[/itex]. However, the online assessment tells me that the correct answer is [itex]0.140\,\text{m}[/itex].

Can anyone explain where I went wrong?

(This is also question 15.10 in University Physics with Modern Physics International Edition, 13th Edition, if anyone should happen to have the solution manual to such a thing)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
haruspex
Jan10-14, 08:07 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,645
Your error is in converting 0.450cm−1 to m-1. You've handled it as though converting from cm to m.

Register to reply