Properties of the Dirac point and Topological Insulators

In summary, the Fermi energy being at the Dirac point is a desirable property in Topological Insulators because it results in low-energy states with a linear dispersion relation, which is a unique and interesting feature. These states are more photon-like and have inspired predictions of new electronic devices and exotic physics, such as the Majorana Fermion. The electrons at the Dirac point are located in the surface state and their energy quantization is more Dirac-like, similar to photons. This is due to the linear dispersion relation, where the group velocity is independent of crystal momentum.
etwc
I understand that the centring of the Fermi energy at the Dirac point is a highly sought after property in Topological Insulators but I'm unsure as to exactly why? I see that the state at the conical intercept will be unique but I'm not sure of what is theorized to happen to the electrons occupying this state and what unique properties will be transferred upon the electrons that do occupy it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not quite sure what you mean. Topological insulators like BiSb don't have a Dirac point, at least not in the bulk.

The surface states tend to have them though, see e.g. http://www.pma.caltech.edu/~physlab/ph10_references/Birth%20of%20topological%20insulators.pdf.

I am also not quite sure what the question is actually about. If the Fermi energy is at (or close to) the Dirac point, then the low-energy states will have a linear dispersion relation. This is a clear signal, and quite new in several ways (thus worth studying). In general, people tend to be more interested in the excitations close to the Fermi energy than in the actual state occupying the Fermi energy.

EDIT: Or rather, it is in that regime that TI:s are special, so why wouldn't one want to work there?

Last edited:
I apologies for being to vague in my initial question, I think my confusion with the subject came through.

I'm aware of the dissipationless conduction of electrons in the surface state but I was hoping for an explanation of some of the other properties predicted for the electrons that lie in this surface state and also an explanation of the properties of electrons that lie exactly at the Dirac point. For example would the electrons at the Dirac point lie within the conduction band, the valence band or neither? Or is it more like a node? Where there can't be occupancy.

In this paper by Robert Cava, http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlepdf/2013/tc/c3tc30186a he states of the electrons in the surface state 'their energy quantization is more Dirac-like (i.e. photon-like) than bulk-electron-like. These states have inspired predictions of new kinds of electronic devices and exotic physics, including proposals for detecting a long sought neutral particle obeying Fermi statistics called the “Majorana Fermion” '

Why are they 'photon-like'? Is this to do with the spin-locked states? I.e. like cooper pairs.

Electrons near a Dirac cone behave more photon like as they have a linear dispersion relation as Hypersphere already pointed out. Specifically ## E\propto k ## and therefore the group velocity is ## v=\partial E/\partial k=const##, i.e. the group velocity is independent of crystal momentum just like the velocity of photons is independent of momentum.

1. What is a Dirac point?

A Dirac point is a point in the energy spectrum of a material where the conduction and valence bands meet at a single point, resulting in a linear dispersion relation. This point was first described by physicist Paul Dirac in his work on the relativistic wave equation.

2. What are the properties of the Dirac point?

The Dirac point has several unique properties, including zero effective mass of electrons, high carrier mobility, and robustness against perturbations. It also exhibits topological protection, meaning that the existence of the point is guaranteed by the underlying symmetry of the material.

3. What is a topological insulator?

A topological insulator is a material that behaves as an insulator in its interior, but has conducting surface states due to its non-trivial topology. This topological protection leads to unique properties such as spin-momentum locking and the ability to conduct electricity without dissipation.

4. How are properties of the Dirac point related to topological insulators?

The Dirac point plays a crucial role in the behavior of topological insulators. It is responsible for the unique surface states of the material and the topological protection of these states. The properties of the Dirac point also determine the behavior of the surface states, such as their energy dispersion and spin texture.

5. How are properties of the Dirac point and topological insulators relevant in modern research?

The study of properties of the Dirac point and topological insulators has gained significant interest in modern research due to their potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and spintronics. These materials have also sparked new theories and discoveries in the field of condensed matter physics, making them a popular subject of study in scientific research.