How is the initial conditions for PDE?

In summary, there are many types of boundary conditions, and initial conditions for a PDE can be analyzed term by term.
Jhenrique
Given a PDE of order 1 and another of order 2, you could show me what is, or which are, all possible initial conditions? For an ODE of order 2, for example, the initial condition is simple, is (t₀, y₀, y'₀). However, for a PDE, I think that there is various way to specify the initial condition, or not? Give me examples, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah but, I have seen many examples that left me confused. For a PDE of order 2, I have seen initinal conditions like:

##(u_x(x, y_0) = u_{x0}(x),\;u(x_0, y)=u_0(y))##;
##(u_x(x_0, y) = u_{x0}(y),\;u(x_0, y)=u_0(y))##;
##(u_y(x, y_0) = u_{y0}(x),\;u(x, y_0)=u_0(x))##

And others more, so, there is various way to specify the initial condition?

Fortunately there are many kind of boundary conditions, much more than the three above. Many different problems involve PDEs, especially in Physics, where the physical modelisation determines the boundary conditions.

I think no... actually, there is really many kind of boundary conditions, however, my question is wrt initial conditions and I found that is possible to analyze the necessary initial conditions for a PDE, term by term, ie...

given --------- the necessary initial conditions is

##u_{xx}(x,y)##------##u_x(x_0,y)## and ##u(x_0,y)##
##u_{yy}(x,y)##------##u_y(x,y_0)## and ##u(x,y_0)##
##u_{xy}(x,y)##------or ##u_x(x,y_0)## and ##u(x_0,y)## or ##u_y(x_0,y)## and ##u(x,y_0)## or ##u(x_0,y_0)##

##u_x(x,y)##------##u(x_0,y)##
##u_y(x,y)##------##u(x,y_0)##

Why do you use the inadapted term "initial conditions" instead of the correct term "boundary conditions" ?
For example, you write u(x0,y), which means that a given function u0(y) is required on the line x=x0. A line where a condition is given is a bound and the condition is called a "boundary condition". What do you mean with "initial" ? Is it because one of the variable is the time ?
All the conditions that you show in your preceeding post are typical boundary conditions, nothing else. You are confused because you use the word "initial" instead of "boundary".
See the definition of "initial condition" : http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InitialConditions.html

Last edited:
I understand "initial conditions" as the arbitrary constants or arbitrary functions that is inserted in the ODE or PDE. Like me that initial condition is different of boundary condition...

Jhenrique said:
Like me that initial condition is different of boundary condition...
Why asking on a forum if you don't take account of the advices ?
In ODE, there is only one variable with symbole x, or t, or what symbol you want. So, it doesn't matter to call a condition "initial" or "boundary" (Bound reduced to a point in this case).
In PDE, they are several variables, so they cannot all be time. Of course you can loosely use "initial" instead of "boundary" if this doesn't induce confusion in your understanding of what the boundaries are for PDE.
I was insistent on the right vocabulary because you wrote a list of examples of conditions which, I am sorry to say, is non-sens. There is no relationship or correspondance, between a partial derivative, such as uxx(x,y) for example and a condition such as ux(x0,y)=u0(y) for example. A condition such as ux(x0,y)=u0(y) for example, could be specified to any PDE whatever are the partial derivatives in the PDE.

I saw in this forum some discussions/topics about the difference between initial conditions and boundary conditions for PDE and I understood that those concepts are different same for PDEs, I think...

JJacquelin said:
There is no relationship or correspondance, between a partial derivative, such as uxx(x,y) for example and a condition such as ux(x0,y)=u0(y) for example.

Given:
##\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}(x,y)##

We integrate wrt to x to get ##u_x(x,y)##
##\int \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}(x,y)dx=\int_{x_0}^{x}\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}(x,y)dx+\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(x_0,y)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(x,y)##

Necessarily ##u_x(x_0,y)## appeared as a arbitrary function.

Do not confuse a defined integral with a PDE !

OK! Trankyou for all your coments!

1. What is meant by "initial conditions" in the context of PDEs?

The initial conditions for a partial differential equation (PDE) refer to the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at the starting point of the problem. These initial values serve as the starting point for the solution of the PDE and are necessary in order to obtain a unique solution.

2. How are initial conditions determined for PDEs?

The determination of initial conditions for a PDE depends on the specific problem being solved. In some cases, the initial conditions may be given explicitly in the problem, while in others they may need to be inferred from physical or mathematical considerations. In general, the initial conditions should be chosen such that they satisfy the boundary conditions of the problem and result in a physically meaningful solution.

3. What role do initial conditions play in the solution of PDEs?

The initial conditions are crucial in the solution of PDEs as they provide the starting point for the solution process. They help to determine the behavior of the dependent variable over time and can greatly impact the final solution. In many cases, the initial conditions will also determine the type of solution that is obtained (e.g. steady-state or transient).

4. Can the initial conditions for a PDE change over time?

In most cases, the initial conditions for a PDE are assumed to be constant throughout the problem domain. However, there are instances where the initial conditions may change over time, such as in problems involving time-varying boundary conditions or sources. In these cases, the initial conditions may need to be defined as a function of time.

5. How important is it to choose the correct initial conditions for a PDE?

The choice of initial conditions can greatly impact the accuracy and validity of the solution of a PDE. Choosing incorrect initial conditions can result in a physically unrealistic or incorrect solution. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the initial conditions and ensure they are appropriate for the problem being solved.