Change in orbit due to moment of inertia change?

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of the 3 gorges dam on the mass moment of inertia of the Earth and how it would affect the length of a day. The speaker also mentions the potential effect on the Earth's orbit around the sun, but it is determined to be negligible due to the small size of the Earth and sun compared to their distance.
DrBwts
Hi,

So recently I read about the massive 3 gorges dam changing the mass moment of inertia of the Earth to such an extent that the days will now be 60ns longer.

Then I thought, how will this effect the orbit of the Earth about the Sun?

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! A whole 60 ns longer each day! Man, I can catch some additional zzzs every morning!

I wouldn't worry about any orbital changes w.r.t. the Earth's movement about the sun.

BTW, in 60 ns, a beam of light travels about 18 meters.

It would also take over 160 million years to add an additional HOUR to each day.

Likes 1 person
DrBwts said:
Then I thought, how will this effect the orbit of the Earth about the Sun?
It won't. It hasn't changed the Earth's mass one iota, nor has it changed the distance between the Earth's center of mass and the Sun.

Likes 1 person
what about tidal locking effects between the Earth and the sun? I guess it is negligibly small, since the size of the Earth and sun is very small compared to the distance between them.

I find this topic very interesting. The change in the Earth's mass moment of inertia due to the construction of the 3 gorges dam is a significant event that will have an impact on the Earth's rotation. The Earth's rotation is closely related to its orbit around the Sun, so any changes in the rotation will also affect the orbit.

The mass moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. In this case, the construction of the dam has shifted the Earth's mass distribution, resulting in a change in its moment of inertia. This change will cause the Earth to rotate slightly slower than before, leading to longer days.

In terms of the Earth's orbit around the Sun, this change in rotation will also have an effect. The Earth's orbit is governed by the laws of gravity, which take into account the mass and distance of the Earth from the Sun. As the Earth's rotation slows down, the distribution of its mass will also change, causing a slight shift in its orbit. However, this change will be very small and will not have a significant impact on the Earth's overall orbit.

It is important to note that the Earth's orbit is constantly changing due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other planets, the Sun's own movement, and even the Earth's changing mass distribution due to natural phenomena. The change in the Earth's mass moment of inertia due to the 3 gorges dam is just one of many factors that contribute to the Earth's ever-evolving orbit.

In conclusion, while the construction of the 3 gorges dam may have a small impact on the Earth's orbit, it is not something that should cause concern. The Earth's orbit is a complex system that is constantly changing, and this change in the mass moment of inertia is just a small piece of the puzzle. As scientists, it is important for us to continue studying and monitoring these changes to better understand our planet and its place in the universe.

1. What is moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

2. How does a change in moment of inertia affect an object's orbit?

A change in moment of inertia can affect an object's orbit by altering its rotational speed and/or direction. This can cause the object's orbit to become more elliptical or even change to a different orbital plane.

3. What causes a change in moment of inertia?

A change in moment of inertia can be caused by a redistribution of mass within an object, such as when a satellite releases a payload or when a planet experiences a volcanic eruption. It can also be caused by external forces, such as gravitational interactions with other objects.

4. How does a change in orbit due to moment of inertia change impact space missions?

A change in orbit due to moment of inertia change can have significant impacts on space missions. It can affect the timing and accuracy of satellite communications, alter the trajectory of spacecraft, and require additional fuel or adjustments to maintain the desired orbit.

5. Can we predict the exact changes in orbit due to moment of inertia change?

It is difficult to predict the exact changes in orbit due to moment of inertia change as it depends on various factors such as the magnitude and direction of the change, the initial orbit of the object, and other external influences. However, scientists use mathematical models and simulations to estimate the potential effects on an object's orbit.