Register to reply

Semiconductor Doping

by ChaseRLewis
Tags: doping, semiconductor
Share this thread:
ChaseRLewis
Jan24-14, 10:29 PM
P: 43
I'm aware that you "dope" them with phosphorous for n-type and boron for p-type (I'm aware other materials can be used and other dopants are preferred in other situations). My question is exactly how is this done? Temperature, Pressure, Sputtering, etc.A white paper or something of the exact process would be much appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
litup
Jan25-14, 08:11 AM
P: 143
Hi Chase! Doping is a process that goes on under the surface layer of the silicon or whatever substrate you are using, gallium arsenide, etc. Sputtering is what you do on the TOP of the surface layer. I work in both regimes. The pressures are high vacuum pressures of 1E-6 torr and in some cases, self focusing beams can use higher pressures. The temperature is just that which does not destroy the substrate so cooling of some kind is usually involved in higher current implants, water cooling inside the substrate housing, single wafer, batch process, etc.

This Wiki can get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_implantation

Register to reply